Thread: Question

What size does a platter have to be to be a platter? Or when is it not a plate? Are there any guide lines for size?

Tokyo Japan
    Hard to answer that one, I'd say anything bigger than a dinner plate, in your house, could be called a platter. I can't give you a size, as a dinner plate in my mom's house is much larger than a dinner plate in our house here in Japan

For me, I'd also say it has to be fairly flat to qualify as a platter, but that might just be me
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

ABQ NM
    To add to what Stu mentioned, you've got your Metric platters and your Imperial platters. Metric platters seem bigger but they use smaller increments, and with the whole Dollar/Euro exchange thing, it works out to about 10.27 inches per RPM, give or take a centimeter or two.

[I'm just here to help]

Seriously, Stu's right. I don't think there are any hard and fast rules, but a dinner plate is probably as good of over/under gauge as anything else. As far as ideas for usable sizes, poke around in your kitchen, ask your wife, check out the housewares department at your favorite store, and that would likely give you a feel for what's common.

Or, I could just toss out an arbitrary list and let everyone debate the numbers. That'll be more interesting.

Saucer: 4 inches or less
    Change/Jewelry Tray: 4 to 6 inches
    Plate: 6 to 10 inches
    Platter: 10 to 18 inches
    Tabletop/Snow Sled: 18 to 24 inches
    Satellite Dish: 24 inches and up
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Mountain Home, Arkansas
    That might all be correct. But, then, what is a charger?
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Portland, Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    A football player from San Diego!
    Jesus was a Woodworker

Tellico Plains, Tennessee
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Isn't that one of the horses that the knights of Camelot rode??

To answer Dennis's question, in my shop if I make it less than 1 inch high and it's still sorta shaped like a bowl, I call it a platter... not much distinction between a plate or platter to me.
    Tellico Plains, TN
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Goodland, Kansas
    I have a set of walnut dinner plates that are 10 1/4". I would consider anything over 12" to be a platter.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.