Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pen tubes

pen tubes

One of our members, who, at the moment, probably wishes to remain anonymous asked me privately about pen tubes.
    I advised him to buy pen tubes with kit orders. Always keep several sets of tubes on hand for each kit style you make.
    Disasters happen. Having extra tubes makes recovery easy in most cases. The tube sets are inexpensive and can save using that naughty vocabulary for other disasters.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Frank is that like bad words being said???

I will buy extra tubes everytime I buy a kit or two. Wood or acrylic will blow out or chip and then those bad words seem to fly. For the six or seven kits that I like to turn I think I have 3 to 5 extra tubes.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Learned that pretty early on. Extra tubes are cheap insurance. Heck I even usually get extra blanks, except for the expensive ones, and then I find the safest route is to just not turn those...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

But if you are only blowing up the blank, go ahead and turn the blown blank off of the tube, use the parting tool to clean the glue off of the tube and go back at it. Or use it for a segmenting opportunity.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Learned that pretty early on. Extra tubes are cheap insurance. Heck I even usually get extra blanks, except for the expensive ones, and then I find the safest route is to just not turn those...
    I can help you out with that Brent....
    my address is.....
    Dragon's Paradox - ** working on updates ** Custom and One Of A Kind Heirloom Quality Hand Crafted Jewelry & Gifts

I asked Frank. I figured ask someone with alot of experience, get the right answer.
    took another set of tubes from the next pen kit, and I muffed the second pen also, did a poor job.
    Not having a good day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bed 093 (Medium).jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 03-30-2010 at 03:13 AM.

Pens are one of those things that can trick you into thinking you have it nailed. You turn one and it's the most beautiful thing. You give it to someone. You feel good!

The next one the blank blows up, the polishing goes south and you wonder why even bother!

Been there done that.

All I can say is that they are small, fun to turn, and tubes are cheap. So buy the extra tubes, blow the blanks, and the ones that are winners give them to someone who appreciates the effort that went into it.

For me at least, not every one is a winner.

Sorry about the health thing getting you down. You and your shop productivity never fails to be an inspiration to me!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I saw this yesterday but didn't comment... 100% agreement with Frank... I always buy 3 - 5 extra sets of tubes for the various pen kits I turn... I even have some tubes for pens I'll never turn again. It's cheap insurance... most times the tubes are about $0.50 per set.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

I also buy extra tubes. It is not uncommon to run into an uglifier defect in a wood or resin blank. I also buy extra tubes because when you are in the pen selling business you can turn lots of blanks and just assemble a pen for a sale. This helps keep the inventory of various pen kits down. I also buy long tubes to use to customize a pen and experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Downes View Post
    I also buy extra tubes. It is not uncommon to run into an uglifier defect in a wood or resin blank. I also buy extra tubes because when you are in the pen selling business you can turn lots of blanks and just assemble a pen for a sale. This helps keep the inventory of various pen kits down. I also buy long tubes to use to customize a pen and experiment.
    Paul
    What do you use to cut the long tubes?
    I bought the HF bench top cut-off saw and I was underwhelmed. It wouldn't even cut all the way through the tubing.