pen tubes

Frank Fusco

One of our members, who, at the moment, probably wishes to remain anonymous :eek: asked me privately about pen tubes.
I advised him to buy pen tubes with kit orders. Always keep several sets of tubes on hand for each kit style you make.
Disasters happen. Having extra tubes makes recovery easy in most cases. The tube sets are inexpensive and can save using that naughty vocabulary for other disasters. ;)

Frank is that like bad words being said???:rofl::rofl:

I will buy extra tubes everytime I buy a kit or two. Wood or acrylic will blow out or chip and then those bad words seem to fly. For the six or seven kits that I like to turn I think I have 3 to 5 extra tubes.

Learned that pretty early on. Extra tubes are cheap insurance. Heck I even usually get extra blanks, except for the expensive ones, and then I find the safest route is to just not turn those... :rofl:

But if you are only blowing up the blank, go ahead and turn the blown blank off of the tube, use the parting tool to clean the glue off of the tube and go back at it. Or use it for a segmenting opportunity.

Learned that pretty early on. Extra tubes are cheap insurance. Heck I even usually get extra blanks, except for the expensive ones, and then I find the safest route is to just not turn those... :rofl:

I can help you out with that Brent....
my address is..... :thumb:

I asked Frank. I figured ask someone with alot of experience, get the right answer.
took another set of tubes from the next pen kit, and I muffed the second pen also, did a poor job.
Not having a good day.

Attachments

• bed 093 (Medium).jpg
    bed 093 (Medium).jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Pens are one of those things that can trick you into thinking you have it nailed. You turn one and it's the most beautiful thing. You give it to someone. You feel good!

The next one the blank blows up, the polishing goes south and you wonder why even bother!

Been there done that.

All I can say is that they are small, fun to turn, and tubes are cheap. So buy the extra tubes, blow the blanks, and the ones that are winners give them to someone who appreciates the effort that went into it.

For me at least, not every one is a winner.

Sorry about the health thing getting you down. You and your shop productivity never fails to be an inspiration to me! :thumb:

I saw this yesterday but didn't comment... 100% agreement with Frank... I always buy 3 - 5 extra sets of tubes for the various pen kits I turn... I even have some tubes for pens I'll never turn again. It's cheap insurance... most times the tubes are about $0.50 per set.

I also buy extra tubes. It is not uncommon to run into an uglifier defect in a wood or resin blank. I also buy extra tubes because when you are in the pen selling business you can turn lots of blanks and just assemble a pen for a sale. This helps keep the inventory of various pen kits down. I also buy long tubes to use to customize a pen and experiment.

I also buy extra tubes. It is not uncommon to run into an uglifier defect in a wood or resin blank. I also buy extra tubes because when you are in the pen selling business you can turn lots of blanks and just assemble a pen for a sale. This helps keep the inventory of various pen kits down. I also buy long tubes to use to customize a pen and experiment.

Paul
What do you use to cut the long tubes?
I bought the HF bench top cut-off saw and I was underwhelmed. It wouldn't even cut all the way through the tubing.

how do you hold the tube while you cut it ?
Hi Ray; Here's a fast pic of my wife holding the tube. I use this sled to cut my pen blanks to length as well. She probably should be holding the tube on the other side as well!

attachment.php

if I need to trim any tubes, a wood block will be use hold the tube, my saw will be a dremel tool with a cut-off blade

Anyone else notice his wife only has three fingers left on that hand???? :eek::doh::huh::dunno: Just messing with you Mack! :thumb::thumb: Actually could drill a hole in a piece of wood, slide the tube through, then it is supported on both ends. :D

Anyone else notice his wife only has three fingers left on that hand???? :eek::doh::huh::dunno: Just messing with you Mack! :thumb::thumb: Actually could drill a hole in a piece of wood, slide the tube through, then it is supported on both ends. :D
Hi Jonathon; Good idea. The # of different dia. pen tubes presents a problem, but not an insurmountable one.

When I cut the tubes I would be holding them on both sides, so one side doesn't become a projectile!

I did get the harbor freight mini cut off saw. I added a piece of angle iron with a threaded rod through it with a couple of nuts to allow tightening. I adjust the rod as a stop to set the length of the tube. I always make them a little longer and don't worry about the cut being perfectly square. The pen blank mill does that. Works for me.