Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My lumber guy closed: Update

My lumber guy closed: Update

It's the end of the world and I am pretty sure the sky is falling. My lumber guy just closed up shop. The other guy I buy 4/4 from is now going to sale to factory's only. There went $1 bd ft.

Been calling around all morning, not having much luck, finding any good dealers. Worst part is if they have one thing I want, they don't have the other. Here I sit, in the middle of the mid-west and I can get anything from South America or Africa, but local native is just about dried up.
    Last edited by Steve Southwood; 04-07-2010 at 02:39 PM.

Steve,

What have you been buying? rough lumber...planed.....

I have some relatives around Bedford that had some mills in the family. I don't know if they are still in operation or not.
    Ken
    ------

that stinks

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Southwood View Post
    It's the end of the world and I am pretty sure the sky is falling. My lumber guy just closed up shop. The other guy I buy 4/4 from is now going to sale to factory's only. There went $1 bd ft.

Been calling around all morning, not having much luck, finding any good dealers. Worst part is if they have one thing I want, they don't have the other. Here I sit, in the middle of the mid-west and I can get anything from South America or Africa, but local native is just about dried up.
    Steve
    Funny thing

So did mine.. I am sure there are others but he was reasonable close didn't mind small orders and had a browsing area. Got into flooring big and the down market got him or so I hear..

We have a great mill even closer but they won't sell to individuals anything but mulch. Have another that had has literally 100,000's of thousand board feet drying. All goes into pallets.

I have to find somewhere to buy as I just today bought 12 lineral feet of 1x6 oak to build a cross with for around 40 dollars at Lowe's.

Garry

That's very sad news. I hope you find a mill soon. And when you do, let me know. I would drive a few hours for good lumber at good prices.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Pounded the phone pretty hard today. Got a couple leads. Hope to know more soon. Same old story with some "do you have a business license?" "are you a business?" "how many feet per load?" This guy was 20 minutes from the house and always had coffee on the stove. Little or big, didn't matter to him.

Ken, rough lumber. Any and all variety's. 4/4 and 8/4

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Southwood View Post
    Pounded the phone pretty hard today. Got a couple leads. Hope to know more soon. Same old story with some "do you have a business license?" "are you a business?" "how many feet per load?" This guy was 20 minutes from the house and always had coffee on the stove. Little or big, didn't matter to him.

Ken, rough lumber. Any and all variety's. 4/4 and 8/4
    Take a trip down to the promised land, pick out a couple of trees from Paul and, fire up that band saw mill. Be his off loader stacker (or what ever they call the grunt) and trailer some home!

Got any Amish around they often aren't as picky who they sell too. We have them but then that pallet place is Amish and they won't sell.

Yea thats it go see Paul!

what you guys can do is pool your order into a larger one.. how much together are you looking for and what kind??
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Bring the logs. help me - share a few boards and we will do it!!

I am very limit in diversity of species for quantity.. Oak sp., Hickory, Sycamore, E. Red Cedar, B. Walnut, and a few others. Really hurting for Cherry --
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

Would be nice Paul, but a little long drive. Get a semi and I can fill it up when you get here.

Got a couple nice leads tonight. Worry is all but over. Still don't like it but what do you do?