Thread: Oak Slab Table Build - Hand Power Only (so far)

Oak Slab Table Build - Hand Power Only (so far)

So, I didn't try to get to the lathe this past weekend...to much going on. Last night I went out to the shop, but realized I didn't have any blanks ready to turn....bummmer. Didn't have time to cut some up and turn, but I did remember where a slab of wood that I have been saving for about 2 years.

It's from my parents house in KS. My dad and I cut it up about 9 months before they moved here to Iowa. I wanted to get some wood from there to make a table or bench out of. I had thoughts of building a router sled to flatten it, but with my new found addiction to hand planes, I decided I should use grandpa KP's planes to do the flattening...(who wants to take the time to build a router sled anyway?) Plus, the sound of the plane cutting the wood is almost as satifying as watching curlies fly off the lathe!

The results from about an hour of work are below. The first pic is what I started with. The next pic is the underside after a little work. The third pic is what will be the top of the table after just starting and the last pic is where I stopped for the night.

The plan is to work on this a little here and there until done. I don't have a design set in stone yet either...let's see if I can get the slab flat first! The biggest problem I see is if I take the time to cut up some bowl blanks will I ever get back to it...who knows.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p_00277.jpg   p_00282.jpg   p_00280.jpg   p_00279.jpg  
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Nice! Keep it going.

yeah we have a convert!!! its all over but the shooting now great story and the old planes will make this table one to remember and your kids will cherish it very much toowell done jeff keep up the good work
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Looking really nice so far!

No more spinny work for you. After that planning you gotta be converted

Looking good Jeff keep at it.
    cheers

Thanks guys...I'm not a full convert yet for sure...still needing a fix at the lathe soon.

Got about a half hour in last night on it...then my no. 7 kept clogging where the chip breaker and iron meet...spent another half hour fixing that...hope to get back to it tonight.

BTW, I should have done this in the winter...spring is here and you can really work up a sweat doing this when its almost 80. Not complaining about the weather though!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

hey jeff did you use a scrub plane to get it roughed out then the smoother to finish it or a jack? a scrub plane would have got you threw to almost flat faster,, then the final flattening would have been less work,, kinda like a using 60 grit paper then going to the higher grits in the sanding process
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Larry, I should have asked for the quickest way to do it before I started. I don't have a scrub plane....yet....I do have a cheap no name smoother that I think I might turn into a scrub. Plus, I need to see what all my dad has available...I know he has a couple dozen planes, just don't know what all they are. Will be at his shop this weekend...maybe I'll come home with a few "loaners"
    My Website

Watching this with interest.
    I have a slab of walnut probably 4X the size of your slab.
    Already you have me convinced, if I do anything with it my tools will have tails.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire