what is a woodcut?

When a history book discusses a "woodcut" do they mean a relief-carving, marquetry, something else entirely or any of the above? Thanks!
Woodcut — formally known as xylography — is a relief printing artistic technique in printmaking in which an image is carved into the surface of a block of wood, with the printing parts remaining level with the surface while the non-printing parts are removed, typically with gouges. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodcut:D

when i first started in the printing job we used them alot for special logos and such cheaper than lead but now that is all but gone except for the artsy folk..

Always considered a Woodcut as similar to a papercut except it hurts worse:D

You know, when you make a nice sharp joined egde and feel of the crispness of the edge and it bites you :eek: often followed with a blood stain on your freshly surfaced wood. :( Not to be confused with a splinter, which is a Woodstab... where a fellows hands are impelled by revenge seeking Porcupine Pines.

Back in the day when I also taught Printing, We had a few of them around to demonstrate to students, Seem to remember they were Apple wood, any way... The still printed nicely and had more depth to the picture than the Brass or Lead/Anemone Plates.

Last edited:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Always considered a Woodcut as similar to a papercut except it hurts worse:D

You know, when you make a nice sharp joined egde and feel of the crispness of the edge and it bites you :eek: often followed with a blood stain on your freshly surfaced wood. :( Not to be confused with a splinter, which is a Woodstab... where a fellows hands are impelled by revenge seeking Porcupine Pines.

Back in the day when I also taught Printing, We had a few of them around to demonstrate to students, Seem to remember they were Apple wood, any way... The still printed nicely and had more depth to the picture than the Brass or Lead/Anemone Plates.