Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Saw Stop Story and its impact by the inventor

The Saw Stop Story and its impact by the inventor

Many here have the Saw Stop saw and have heard about the court case recently.

Now you can read about the whole Sawstop story and how it came about and where it is right now.

http://www.inc.com/magazine/20050701...tor-gass.html#
    cheers

Wow! I waded through the whole thing. What struck me hardest was the corporate [expletive deleted] attitude. Reminds me of the Ford situation where they calculated it would be cheaper to pay the lawsuits than to fix a fuel tank situation that was killing passengers by burning them alive.
    Of course, the SS story isn't complete until we see what comes next. Maybe one day the technology will be standard on most major tools.
    Thanks for posting.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Interesting article that contained some details that I was not aware of.

Since it was posted on the internet the details must be correct, but there will probably be more forthcoming as we move ahead.

It will be interesting to see how things work out.

The timing of this post couldn't be better. This morning coming down the stairs to my shop I twisted my ankle and ended up on my butt (Great start for April 1st).
    A while later while nursing my sore ankle I started to cut up some curly maple for pen blanks when suddenly WHAM!!! Evidently while shifting my weight to ease my ankle I inadvertenly touched the saw blade and triggered the safety mechanism. Of course the brake was ruined (which SawStop says they will replace when I send in the triggered one) and damaged the blade that I have been told can be resharpened as good as new.
    The only injury that I sustained was a slight groove (that didn't even bleed) on the end of my left forefinger and a nick on my fingernail that can be repaired with a nail file.
    I want to thank SawStop for making this technology available, (and my wife who after seeing the SS video in November 2009 said, "That's your Christmas present").
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SawStop Finger.jpg   SawStop1.jpg   SawStop2.jpg  

Glad you are OK

Wow! What an endorsement.
    But, most importantly, you are OK.
    Being part of the "Family" really brings the safety issue home with an impact.
    I'm actually rattled reading this story like it happened in my own family.
    BTW, don't ignore that sprain. I sprained my left foot about three years ago and it is still giving problems. Never saw a Doc. Same side as my ignored shoulder. Later this year I may have left arm in sling after surgery, be on crutches and have left foot in a big blue boot from surgery.

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Wow Larry. I think you're the first official Sawstop "save" in the Family. Good to see everything worked as designed.

And thanks for the article, Rob. Good read.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

So, if I buy a motorcycle and try to jump 17 buses and fail, I can sue because the motorcycle didn't have wings?

Just curious.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Larry,
    Glad you came out ok on that one.
    "Thereís a lot of work being done today that doesnít have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesnít have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

That article is 3 years old. I think they have around 10,000 units sold now.

Larry - Now there's the best outcome you could have. But still remember to keep your fingers away and don't use other power tools when you are uncertain about your physical capabilities. All the other tools don't have that technology. Growing up I remember quite a few of my dad's coworkers had missing fingers and fingertips not caused from tablesaws.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    So, if I buy a motorcycle and try to jump 17 buses and fail, I can sue because the motorcycle didn't have wings?

Just curious.
    Sure you can sue. But you won't win because it isn't a logical progression of proven technology that is readily available.

Sorry to smash your hopes there.
    Last edited by Dan Gonzales; 04-01-2010 at 10:21 PM.
    Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post

Just curious.
    No. But you can sue the buses because they didn't get out of the way.