my new dovetail jig

Gee, that is the same one I got just a week back. I've only done a little with it, but it is much better than the Japanese Dove Tail jig I had been using. I've found it cuts to a line more accurately and easier than the pull saw I had been using.

Dick

No pics yet, but I have learned some things already.

1. Don't chop when you can saw.

2. Don't chop off the tails. :eek: :doh:

3. When drawing the tail lines, it is rather helpful to put the narrow ends of the tail receivers to the edge of the board. :huh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

4. I either need to sharpen my chisel better (probably), get a better quality chisel (instead of the Farm Hand brand from TSC) or maybe even get a coping saw that accepts scroll saw blades to cut waste. Regardless if I chop or cope, I also want to get a really nice paring chisel.

5. When sawing at an angle, match the blade close to the angle until almost to the line, then slowly bring the blade around to cut through to the straight.

Also, I suspect my tail / receiver alignment relative to the board edges is backward, but this is a design thing and irrelevant to my dovetail cutting ability. Also, this first one I cut the receivers before ripping tongues and grooves off of the free pine I'm practicing with - so might look aesthetically bad in addition to poor craftsmanship.

I find myself needing to do about three back cuts to establish the kerf before the cutting is smooth. Larry, I hope this answers your question, but keep in mind this is my first precision hand sawing.

Ok, back to the vise.

Here is my very first handsawn through dovetail!

1st_through.JPG

I ended up starting over after realizing my first attempt wouldn't work due to too small pins on the outside.

It is still a bit tight, but I am done working with tools for the night.

One other thing I learned is that if you have two pins, remove the waste between the pins before sawing off the waste outside the pin.

Nice-looking jig, but I'm not sure how it works. Does the router attach onto that metal part or something? :p

Congrats, Mark. :thumb: Although I wouldn't know how to use it right, I've admired that new line of Lee Valley saws since they came out.

Mark there has been a recent post by the Ambassador of a trip to a workshop by Rob Corsman. I would watch his online video, it has some great tips and you will see him with the coping saw in action.

Also Toni a while back made the point that what it takes is practice. He picked up some sample HW pieces from a hard wood flooring crowd to practice on and said he made one or two a day till he got it.:):thumb: