Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAS Blade

RAS Blade

Any suggestions on a RAS 10" Blade

It should be -5 degree hook angle correct?

Not looking for a top of the line blade as I cut to many varied items

mostly hardwood cross cutting - NEVER RIP

but sometimes cut plexiglass and Corian.

Negative hook angle prevents the blade from self feeding/lunging at you, so yes that is a good thing. I don't think it HAS to be -5 though.

Someone had one for sale forum that sounded like a good RAS blade.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

This came up on another thread recently. I have been shopping for a negative hook blade. Am yet to see one so labeled in a store. I have even written to some vendors and their replys say "I don't know." The search continues.

I forget the number/model but I know Freud makes one that is supposed to be very good. I am just as sure it is not cheap either.

Like you Frank I have never seen one in the store either. I bought a 12" DeWalt made for miter saws. I think it has a 0 degree hook. It still wants to self feed some but I would prefer none. But it was cheap and it's a huge step over the one that came on the saw.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post
    I forget the number/model but I know Freud makes one that is supposed to be very good. I am just as sure it is not cheap either.

Like you Frank I have never seen one in the store either. I bought a 12" DeWalt made for miter saws. I think it has a 0 degree hook. It still wants to self feed some but I would prefer none. But it was cheap and it's a huge step over the one that came on the saw.

Jeff

For the amount and type of work I use my miter saw for, I can't justify the price of a Freud. Some guy on eBay had miter saw blades, about $10.00 for two. I passed.

RAS Blade

Try the Freud LU91. -5 degree hook 10" 60 tooth ATB grind. Sells for $49.99 at Woodworker's Supply.
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

the simplest way to find a neg rake blade is to look for blades rated for nonferrous metal.....amanna, freud and systimatic come to mind right away...they`re generally offered in 60-80 or 100 tooth.....the lower the tooth count the easier on the saw and your pocketbook....tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    There's a 100 T -2 degree hook listed in our forums classified right now.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I just got my 12" RAS set back up I didn't have a blade such as is mentioned here. My saw hasn't been set up because I received a visit from WISHA just think OSHA but for Washington state. The guy was real nice he explained that I needed a guard on the RAS that would knock my hand away from the blade path before the blade got there & a means of pulling the saw back when released. All this leads to this having learned to use a RAS before negative hook blades arrived on the scene I have found that with the weight & pulley system I have now on the saw to return it to the most rearward position when released I find that the saw also seems to be less likely to try & climb. Of course I learned about 39 years ago on this very saw that you start your pull with a slight rotation of your upper body & shoulder & finish it with your elbow bending slightly this assured that you held the carriage & blade from climbing.

I am at this time using a 10" anti kick back Oldham thin kerf blade that I already had on this RAS. I do hope in the future to get a negative hook blade. But all of the above makes it possible to use this RAS in reasonable safety.

I'll mention this was my Dad's framing saw purchased in 1967. I started cutting material for wall framing & trusses on it when I was 15 years old. I still have all 8 fingers & 2 thumbs.

Hey Frank Pellow I also now have all Dad's & nail & staple guns.

Frank I still really think you need a good RAS & some nail & staple guns in your shop. Of course you know this teasing is all good humor & fun?
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 01-29-2007 at 03:56 PM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    My saw hasn't been set up because I received a visit from WISHA just think OSHA but for Washington state. ......
    Please tell me that the inspection is limited to commercial shops and not residential shops. If you were in California it wouldn't surprise me though.