Thread: commercial post or not?

commercial post or not?

Let's say I make my own WWing tools. Let's further say that they turn out really good and I make more to sell for others.

Would it be acceptable for me to then post in-progress project pics using said tools in one of the non-commercial forums?

I'm assuming that if so, the closest I could come to actual solicitation would be something like "Please see my post in Commercial Products (link) for more information on the whatchamadohooey used in this project."

Mark, I think that would be acceptable. We would all love to see the process of creating a new tool and if it went well enough that you started taking orders...you could ask to post in the commerical forum to sell it...

So...do you have something kicking around in your head to make or just asking for some clarification? Remember we like pics!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

to me the involvement of a person in the forum doing/helping others with actual woodworking is going to carry lots of weight as to how i`d vote on wether or not they were "commercial".
    if somebody who is a regular contributor started up making widgets and went so far as to document the widget manufacturing process then i could see leaving the creation thread in the appropriate forum and even including a link to the commercial zone.

but if "joe" want's to try drop-ship marketing through the general forums or shameless plugging of his widgets then i believe that wouldn't be in the spirit of the forum..

but i`m only one voice
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    to me the involvement of a person in the forum doing/helping others with actual woodworking is going to carry lots of weight as to how i`d vote on wether or not they were "commercial".
    if somebody who is a regular contributor started up making widgets and went so far as to document the widget manufacturing process then i could see leaving the creation thread in the appropriate forum and even including a link to the commercial zone.

but if "joe" want's to try drop-ship marketing through the general forums or shameless plugging of his widgets then i believe that wouldn't be in the spirit of the forum..

but i`m only one voice
    +1 I'm with you on this one Tod
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

One other potential problem we've had recently is someone posting a "Hot Deals" notice, and referencing a link to a site where he gets a commission for every sale made through the link - essentially using the forum 'for profit.'

These links came from a new member, apparently using a false name, and posting from a url halfway around the world, with a link to a U.S. enterprise.

Probably shouldn't be allowed, eh?

Your example, Mark, would probably be okay. You could post the tutorial/documentary, then link to an ad you'd post in the Commercial Zone, making your sales from there.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

but i`m only one voice
    +2
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    Mark, I think that would be acceptable. We would all love to see the process of creating a new tool and if it went well enough that you started taking orders...you could ask to post in the commerical forum to sell it...

So...do you have something kicking around in your head to make or just asking for some clarification? Remember we like pics!
    I'm making some marking tools (sliding bevels, marking knives) with some help from a machinist friend. I'm also taking some accounting classes and noted that even adding some labor, a fair sale price would be under current new market pricing.

Having said this, I don't know if I'll go to the sale step, but was inspired to ask after reading about the Amazon affiliate pay-per-click links.

When I made up some poor man's C1 tools and sold a couple nobody bombed me.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

but i`m only one voice

+3 For me too.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    When I made up some poor man's C1 tools and sold a couple nobody bombed me.
    In that case, you were just selling a few, and not planning to make it a recurring thing.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com