Prazi Chestmate Dovetail Jig

allen levine

Id like to offer my thoughts(review?) on this jig.
I am in no way an expert woodworker, make no claims to be, am not affiliated with any professional organization, publisher or manufacturer related to the woodworking industry.
I believe I am the targeted audience for this jig. The woodworking hobbyists, the weekend warrior.

Price, now at woodcraft for 109, had to mention that, since its the cheapest price I found for it.

The jig uses storyboards, which take a minute to cut, and allow you to make as many dovetails in any pattern as you want. Easy. Simple.
Setting it all up, well, it took me 3 attempts to get it right, but I really never followed the written instructions until my 3rd attempt, and today it was pretty straight foward, easy enough for me to use and enjoy.
The most important thing is the orientation of the boards, fronts and tops.
Once you do that right, great results, and I have to admit, as intimidated as I was about cutting dovetails, whoooooshh!, thankyou and kudos to the chestmate inventor, you sir have a sure winner! If I can do it, anyone can do it. And Id guesstimate to make a small jewelry box sized project from cutting the story boards till the last pin will take me no more than 30 minutes to complete it all, maybe less.

Prazi-I hope Im not out of line here, but Id like to bring up one point, which I believe is accurate. I watched the video many times. I took notes so I would see which way to orient the boards.
In the video, the woodworker clearly shows the boards marked with blue painters tape and marker, tail and pin fronts, so there will be no mistakes.
He clearly states to put in the tail board, face side facing away from you and makes the cuts. Then mounts the pin board, and it clearly shows the blue tape and the board marked pin face facing away from you. In the printed instructions, the pin board face faces inwards, towards you , and this is correct. The video I believe is misleading. I could be wrong, so if someone else could watch the video, just to see if Im seeing it right.

Overall, I feel this is one fantastic product, worth every cent!!!!

(Id always offer my non professional review on any product, and if any manufacturer wants an honest review from a mediocre skilled hobbyist, you can send me your product, no charge for my review:D)

heres my first dovetail,man, that was pretty easy overall, whats all the fuss about?)cheap borg pine, didnt have any hardwood planed down

Attachments

• Picture 004 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 004 (Medium).jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Looks like you got it figured out, Allen. :thumb: Your test joint looks perfect from here. I really like the fact that you can vary the sizes so easily with that jig.

...I am in no way an expert woodworker, make no claims to be, am not affiliated with any professional organization, publisher or manufacturer related to the woodworking industry.
I believe I am the targeted audience for this jig. The woodworking hobbyists, the weekend warrior...

Yeah, right. :rolleyes: The gig's up, man. We all know that you're Norm's more attractive older brother, and had it not been for your help and influence, Bob Vila would still be working at the drive-up window at Wendy's in Hoboken. And Porter-Cable? I heard you went to school with both of those guys. :D

if anything, it got my juices flowing again, been having a few rough weeks, lost interest in almost everything.thought the show would cheeer me up and having dinner with the boys was great, but health and work issues been doggin me. Until today. I made a mess again today, as you can see in my setup pics, everything is out

even started cuts of the sheet and roughed out the legs for the mahogany dresser Im long overdue to start.

Heres a pic or two of the jig set up, easy pezee pie.( I dont own a real vice yet)

Attachments

• bed 096 (Medium).jpg
    bed 096 (Medium).jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 50
  • bed 097 (Medium).jpg
    bed 097 (Medium).jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Guess I need to take a better look at that jig. Amazing what it takes to get the juices flowing again. For you it was a dovetail jig. For me it was getting a job. Spent all weekend working in the shop on the kitchen.