Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workbench - 2nd Drawer Unit

Workbench - 2nd Drawer Unit

I didn't quite get this done before I have to run off for our Easter get together. False fronts still need to be cut finished and attached.

The area to the right of the 1st drawer unit I added seems to have a death grip on whatever flotsam and jetsam comes by:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2nd drawer unit 001.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	44151

I built a carcase of MDF like the 1st unit but, with a lower profile. On the 1st unit I left enough room to clean up or retrieve objects that fall through the dog holes but found I needed more room than that ;-)

Name:	2nd drawer unit 002.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	44152

Drawers are 1/2" BB ply with 1/4" BB ply bottoms as is my custom. Drawer lock joints are so quick and easy I use them more than pocket holes for this sort of thing:

Name:	2nd drawer unit 003.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	44153Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2nd drawer unit 005.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	44154

A full 3.4" thick back is not necessary but I am adding mass as well as storage. Rabbeted and glued in once I have all the drawer guides where I want them:

Name:	2nd drawer unit 007.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	44155

That's one, five to go:

Name:	2nd drawer unit 008.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	44156

OK, time to get ready for the festivities. I'll have to finish in the evenings during the week. I don't want them to still be incomplete when the Tour de Wood passes through this end of the state next weekend.

Name:	2nd drawer unit 013.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	44157
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Neat draws Glenn. Just a point that i got from the Chris Schwarz workbench book was one should not cover the area beneath the bench otherwise bench hooks have no where to go when you put them through dog holes.

How have you dealt with this?

One thing i have realized and its reinforced over and over for me is that draws that are deep in a shop just collect junk. So i am soon going to be converting my draws to more of the low profile draws and space things out more. Eaiser and neater access.

Thanks for sharing. You better not clean that shop up too much or else you gonna pay for it with the tour bunch rolling into town.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Neat draws Glenn. Just a point that i got from the Chris Schwarz workbench book was one should not cover the area beneath the bench otherwise bench hooks have no where to go when you put them through dog holes.

How have you dealt with this?
    That was exactly my failure on the 1st unit. I left enough room for shavings and lost items to be fished out but not enough for holddowns. The 2sqft area above the 1st unit is dead to this kind of use and I may have to eventually fix that (depending on my frustration level). The second unit is lower in height and will not be a problem. Having learned the hard way I am leaving adequate room for holddowns and through clamping this time.

One thing i have realized and its reinforced over and over for me is that draws that are deep in a shop just collect junk. So i am soon going to be converting my draws to more of the low profile draws and space things out more. Eaiser and neater access.
    I preach this also. Drawers and cabinets with areas deeper than about 18" are just black holes to another dimension if they are not at least full extension. All my 22" deep drawers in this area are over extension to avoid the "lost world" that exists in deep drawers ;-) Other areas of the shop are restricted to 12" and 18" depths.

Thanks for sharing. You better not clean that shop up too much or else you gonna pay for it with the tour bunch rolling into town.
    Not too much fear of that right now . The offer for a pit stop and tour is open but, even though the bus will pass within a few thousand feet of my house (if they take the 60 fwy route to Sam's), I don't know if their schedule will allow a stop. Dad and I will be in the shop Saturday if they get the chance. Whether they do or don't, dad and I will connect with them at the Maloof site. Game on!
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 04-05-2010 at 04:20 PM.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I've got one just about that size with 2 drawers and 2 doors 2 vices attached for the taking if anyone is in the area and wants to pick it up.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hawksford View Post
    I've got one just about that size with 2 drawers and 2 doors 2 vices attached for the taking if anyone is in the area and wants to pick it up.
    Oh man, Dave, it's just to far for me to drive..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

2nd Drawer Unit - Finishing Up

Well, I hoped to have these done before the Tour de Wood passed by and I made it. Dad came up as we will be doing the Sam Maloof gathering with Larry, Tom, Bill, Toni and whoever else.

Here's the false fronts all shellaced up:

Name:	false fronts.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	44342

A couple stop blocks and a fence make drilling the through holes quick and accurate:

Name:	drill fronts.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	44343

I attach them using the Danny Proulx method. The setup blocks keep things spaced correctly:

Name:	setup blocks.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	44345

Moving right along:

Name:	moving along.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	44344

And there we go. Time to fill 'em up:

Name:	2nd drawer unit done.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	44346
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Makes me want to redo my bench entirely...

Nice job Glenn!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

nice piece of work glenn.

Nice work Glenn Your shop is soooooo clean

I like the idea of hanging the rulers from your bench. Just yesterday i was using mine and having to walk over to the wall where they are hanging interupted work flow. I think a change is in order. Thanks.

Glenn i like the way you put the effort into even shop fixtures. Its always a place to practice is what i say to myself.
    cheers

Thanks guys. The hanging rulers get grabbed constantly. I think this may have been my first step in my organizational change. I used to keep all like items grouped together here and there. Now I keep often used items at arms reach and the rest will be those annoying 'few steps' away. You can't get too far away in my shop but sometimes crossing the shop gets to be like waiting on your PC to boot; it only take a little while but you get tired of it.
    - Arthur C. Clarke