I didn't quite get this done before I have to run off for our Easter get together. False fronts still need to be cut finished and attached.
The area to the right of the 1st drawer unit I added seems to have a death grip on whatever flotsam and jetsam comes by:
I built a carcase of MDF like the 1st unit but, with a lower profile. On the 1st unit I left enough room to clean up or retrieve objects that fall through the dog holes but found I needed more room than that ;-)
Drawers are 1/2" BB ply with 1/4" BB ply bottoms as is my custom. Drawer lock joints are so quick and easy I use them more than pocket holes for this sort of thing:
Attachment 44153Attachment 44154
A full 3.4" thick back is not necessary but I am adding mass as well as storage. Rabbeted and glued in once I have all the drawer guides where I want them:
That's one, five to go:
OK, time to get ready for the festivities. I'll have to finish in the evenings during the week. I don't want them to still be incomplete when the Tour de Wood passes through this end of the state next weekend.