Wood Haul

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Saturday morning, I got a call from our facilities manager at the office to let me know they had cut down a large red eucalyptus tree in our parking lot. This tree was in the process of moving a block wall, so it had to go. I've got this guy well trained...he knew I wanted some of the wood, so he had the tree removal guys set aside the bigger stuff for me, and called me to let me know I could pick it up. He's getting a bowl, for sure.

Here's what I saw when I got to the office around 1:00 PM:

Red Eucalyptus Haul 2f 800.jpg Red Eucalyptus Haul 2b 800.jpg

So far I've made two trips, picking up only the larger stuff. I'll probably take the pickup to work Monday and grab some more, although I think I'm set on red eucalyptus for a while. I can give the stuff that's too small for turning to the neighbors for firewood.

Here's the first load:

Red Eucalyptus Haul 2c 800.jpg Red Eucalyptus Haul 2a 800.jpg

And here's the second load:

Red Eucalyptus Haul 2d 800.jpg Red Eucalyptus Haul 2e 800.jpg

The trunk section sitting on the driver's side at the tailgate in the picture above is one of the bigger pieces. On edge, it's taller than my truck bed is deep, and there were several in this range. I'm guessing a few of the big pieces were over 100 pounds, so my bad back appreciated the lift gate on the truck. It's a good thing the bed on the Ranger is relatively small. I was already pushing the weight limits of what was safe to drive (in the rain) as it was, and with a bigger bed I'd have probably overdone it.

I cut a couple of blanks before dark, but my chainsaw was in need of sharpening, and I was losing daylight, so I quit for the day. I've sharpened the saw now, and I'll cut some more blanks and get things sealed up tomorrow. (Gotta go buy some Anchor Seal, I guess.) :rolleyes: I'm not too worried about things drying out too quickly, since it's been raining lightly all day, and things are pretty moist outside. As long as I get it sealed up in the next day or two I should be in good shape.

Man o man!!! Outstanding! Now that's what I call a haul!!!

That red euc is going to turn out some nice stuff, Vaughn.

Way to go!:thumb: