Spalted maple DT box

ken werner

I was so moved by my pal Mark Kosmowski's new dovetail jig that I pulled mine out and made another box. I had the spalted maple hanging around in the attic for years, waiting for the inspiration to hit.

Attachments

• box.jpg
    box.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 106
John, you can spalt wood on your own. There was an article in Fine WWing about it a year or three ago. The wood in my box was helped along by my son and me to optimize the spalting.

Very nice Ken, the spalted Maple sure is fine!!
Does the lid slid off this box?
Just curious, as I cannot see a cut line on the side, and the way the box is dovetailed, I would not think you would have it open that way. Maybe we need more pics :)

This shows how the box opens. I like this style of box. The dovetails are asymmetric from one end to the other, I like the variation. And they work nicely with no hardware. I'll sometimes screw a little toggle on the end if I want to be able to secure the lid.

Attachments

• box longways.jpg
    box longways.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 66
  • box open.jpg
    box open.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 58
Great-looking box, Ken. :thumb: You've also given me some ideas for storing my Two Cherries chisels. ;) Dunno if I'd be up to hand-cut dovetails, but I could always break out the dovetail bit and put the Incra to work. (Or the Rockler dovetail jig that's been used for a grand total of three joints -- one test joint and two joints on a paper towel holder.)

I keep most of my chisels on a rack, but a box is good because I can put it on the bench and keep them in it as I use them. Keeps them and me safer.

Thanks for the extra pics Ken, but a question;

If you want to use a chisel, from what I can see, you have to completely remove the lid, is that correct? If you put the block that holds the sharp ends of the chisels the other way round, then, could you not open the box halfway, or more and grasp the handle, removing the chisel :huh:

The reason I ask, is if was me, I'd take that nice lid out, set it on the bench, and then I'd bump it or something near it, sending the lid crashing to the floor :doh: I just KNOW I'd do this, so keeping the lid, partially in the box, would solve that problem............ until I knocked the whole darn box on the floor :rolleyes: :D

Cheers!

Ken lovely box real nice wood. I know you can do those joints in your sleep from having seen your work.:) But i like the application.

Only thing i relate to what Stu said. If i put that box on my bench for sure its on the floor in no time.:D

Thanks for the kind remarks.

Stu, when I go to use the chisels, I remove the lid and put it under the box. It is safe, and the chisels are wide open and accessible. Shop floor is pine, so when gravity calls, the floor gets a dent, but most flying objects survive.

Thanks for the kind remarks.

Stu, when I go to use the chisels, I remove the lid and put it under the box. It is safe, and the chisels are wide open and accessible. Shop floor is pine, so when gravity calls, the floor gets a dent, but most flying objects survive.

Ken
Beautiful box...

Pine flooring, Is it end grain as some machine shops or something else?
Thanks.
Garry

well thats a fine box ken, but your holding out on us,,, those are blue spruce chisels and deserve that quality of box to rezide in:) folks those are sweet chisels and are very pretty, up close and from afar:) almost dropped some green backs on those myself...if they were on hand at the time i probally would have been more tempted..you need there fish tails to ken:):thumb::thumb:

Garry, just wide pine boards. Bought them pretty wet from a local sawmill, took 2 weeks to dry them out, with the shop heat about 80 degrees, and a couple of box fans and dehumidifiers going. They haven't shrunk since the install though.

Larry, you caught me. Those are some nice chisels too. I'd like to meet Dave J some day.