Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calif Shaking - Vaughn You OK?

Calif Shaking - Vaughn You OK?

A magnitude 6.9 earthquake struck Baja California in northwestern Mexico on Sunday, shaking the ground at least as far away as Los Angeles, California, the U.S. Geological Survey and witnesses reported.

The quake struck at 3:40 p.m. PT and was centered about 175 kilometers (110 miles) east-southeast of Tijuana, according to the USGS.

Chandeliers swung and water sloshed around in swimming pools in the Los Angeles suburbs, witnesses reported, while posters to Twitter reported feeling the quake in Phoenix, Arizona.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Simmons View Post
    Chandeliers swung and water sloshed around in swimming pools in the Los Angeles suburbs, witnesses reported, while posters to Twitter reported feeling the quake in Phoenix, Arizona.

I Din feel nutten...
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I hope Vaughn's OK. I just saw this post and gave my brother a call. He's in Glendale. Unfortunately, he didn't pick up so I don't know yet how much he felt in that area.

Hope there wasn't much damage but I haven't seen any reports yet.

John
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Most likely did not even wake Vaughn up from his afternoon nap

I do hope you are OK dude, for once it is not me everyone is worried about with turf surfing
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I didn't feel a thing, either, and I'm just a bit closer than Vaughn.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

There's a bunch of our guys in and around the So Cal area... maybe we need a roll call or at least a check call from everybody.... per CNN no major damage reported...

CNN also reported a 4.2 up north around Sacramento... everyone from up there should check in also.

Larry and crew are probably too far north still to have noticed anything, plus driving..
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Hey maybe the'll get lucky and have one when they get out there..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

It was a rolling quake (vs a shaker/jolt). We were watching tv and we felt it. My wife started to panick but it was not strong enough to make me get off the couch.

The chandeliers started swaying and the dining table started to move in a different direction than my chair. Since we're all Southern Californians we raised our glasses and had a toast.

Funny though, it gave me a headache just like getting seasick.

Happy Easter to all!
    Last edited by Dan Gonzales; 04-05-2010 at 02:05 AM.
    Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem

Being from the midwest, eartquakes aren't something most of us from this part of the country get to experience very often. We had one here in Michigan though about twenty years ago I think. It was pretty mild but I was upstairs on the second floor of our building while at work in the office and I felt one. It was a very strange feeling indeed! I can't even imagine being anywhere near a "big one". Then back in '93 my wife (girlfriend at the time) and a couple friends took a trip to Alaska for Thanksgiving. We went to visit her friend's sister who lived just south of Anchorage. We flew into Anchorage and arrived at around eight or nine o'clock local time I think. We got our bags and picked up the rental vehicle and headed to their place. We got up the next morning and before we had even had breakfast the darn house started to shake and it sounded like a train going by or something. It was bigger than the first I'd experienced but still not a big one. I'm hoping I never get the chance to feel one of those!

John
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"