A Family Woodworker Visit

Stuart Ablett

While not a whole bus load of guys, it was still very nice having Peter Rideout come for another visit!

Peter was here on business for a few days, and found a morning free to come by and say hi :thumb:

He was bearing gifts too.....

peter_stu_spring_2010_1.jpg
You can see the "firewood" :eek: that Peter brought me, the one piece on top is really spectacular :thumb:

peter_stu_spring_2010_2.jpg peter_stu_spring_2010_3.jpg
Some better shots of the wood..... and Peter!
I did not have a Family woodworking hat for him, so I let Peter use my Family Woodworking Mug.

Nice to see you again Peter, thanks for the wood! :wave:

That's some fine-looking firewood indeed. :thumb: I think Peter's among a bunch of us who'd like to visit your shop. (OK, and visit you too.) :p

I went at the boards with some hand planes, good workout for sure :rolleyes:

More eye candy!

apple_wood.JPG
This first piece is Apple wood, the grain is not so eye catching, but still it is cool, as I've not found any here in Japan.

tiger_maple_1.JPG tiger_maple_2.JPG tiger_maple_3.JPG

That is three separate pieces guys :D

I'm thinking I'll resaw them and then bookmatch some pieces to make box lids or something, yes flat work, Larry would be so proud of me :D :thumb:

Thanks again Peter! :clap:

You're welcome Stu, and thank you for the great hospitality too!

He was generous as always in the "reciprocal gift" tradition too guys, as I have a very nice cherry bowl and one of Stu's trademark little square-turned bowls to take home.

Bad news is, I think he's going to cost me some money in the near future, by letting me test drive his LV medium shoulder plane and the low-angle L-N 62(?) from Garrett Hack! Had a go at the "Joint Genie" too - very slick.

The sad truth about the maple in Stu's pics is that it really did show up in our annual firewood delivery last year, dutifully cut in 16" lengths:( I've since had a little talk with our supplier about leaving similar, suspicious-looking logs tree length from now on!

Thanks again Stu :wave: It was a great couple hours that went by too quickly. Good luck with those projects.

Peter

PS: Side thanks to Vaughn MacMillan for the helpful advice to a non-turner on useful sizes for those turning blanks, which now might become bookmatched panels.

Sorry about showing you those planes Peter......... NOT...... :D

You will not regret buying them, they are top quality tools. After you left, I sharpened the LN 62 up and the old #4 and the #5C as well, boy do they make neat shavings with that wood, kind of a ripple chip thing :D

BTW, make sure you put some kind of a finish on that Cherry bowl that you got, even just mineral oil, I'm sure your wife will enjoy it with her potato chips :thumb:

While I could turn some of that wood, I've got lots of turning stock still hanging around, but I've got very little stock like what you brought me, I figure I can resaw it and make some nice boxes tops or such out of it, sure it pretty! :D

Look forward to your trip next fall :wave: (even if you don't bring anymore firewood ;) :) )