Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turkey season

Turkey season

I took my son back to school down in Va yesterday and we stopped to check the sign out on one of the farms we are going to hunt Saturday morning coming up. a 10 acre hard wood stand was cut last year and the birds are making there way along the back edge so Jake and I built a ground blind between to large oaks and cleared out all around the bases. I think we will be in for an awesome morning. The dog woods are beginning to blossom so the time is right.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

gobble, gobble, gobble...hope your day goes well.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

I've got to have at least 3 dozen of them strutting through my yard every day.
    I keep picturing in my mind how they would look sitting on my serving plate filled with sausage and oyster stuffing.
    Never have eaten a wild one before. Heard they are tough.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

I always heard they were tough also. Daughter's 26 pounder last year was THE BEST turkey I have ever eaten!! It was more tender than any turkey we ever raised.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Good luck with the hunt Dave. I bought a license for the last 3 weeks of May. I may visit a few farms to see if I can work out permission. (although I can hunt many good places and rarely have trouble finding a good bird)

The deer population is real high in some areas. I hunt a farm where the farmer calls them "corn rats" I have earned his trust to the point where we are family. (I always shoot and butcher a few for him) I have been thinking about a 'new ' name for turkeys. Something to help get permission, like "flying corn rats" or "walking bean cutters" maybe feathered bean and corn mowing machines" I Talked to a big corporate farm owner a few years ago to see about permission and he declined, blaming crop damage on the deer. One of my good friends now has permission to hunt his lands and bring any kids along. He now understands the extent of the damage turkeys can do. We do spend time shooting woodchucks for farmers so that helps.

We have them in ample numbers around my place. Oddly, statewide hunters are complaining of low numbers and the seasons have been shortened. Equally odd is how hard it is to pattern their habits. Sometimes I don't see any for weeks the, suddenly, they are everywhere for days then vanish again. Predators like fox and raccoons keep the turkey numbers down. I have been tempted to harvest some from my yard for eating. Never have.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Old Tom is best after I marinate him is a bag of Ranch Dressing for 2 days then grill him up.

Bob I may be camping on your back 40
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.

3 nice Tom's behind the house this morning. Pattern will be changed by opening date, as farmers are starting to plant and it messes up the birds.

You know it all depends on what's being planted. Turkeys like the fresh turned up ground. Bug galore

Dave, around here they go right around it and move to the fresh new growth. Once it all has been turned over, then they change again. might have something to do with the type of fertilizer the local use. Turkey crap.