Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cherry Bedside table

Cherry Bedside table

My wife wanted a new table for beside the bed and was getting a touch annoyed that everything I was making I was giving away to the kids. We both are really into early American, colonial and shaker style.
    I've never worked with cherry before but I was real happy with how easy the wood was to work with. I really love working with hardwoods.
    Kind of disappointed in the finish. The top looks blotchy and I don't know why. It is finished with 3 coats of BLO and 3 coats of rub on poly. Any ideas on how I screwed it up is greatly appreciated.
    Next is a hope chest for my oldest daughter then a slant front desk for my 3rd oldest daughter.
    I'm thinking of mahogany for the desk. I found a place locally today that has clear 1x6 s4s 12' planks for $3.50 bf. Gotta check around to see if that's a good deal or not.
    As usual comments and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P4050333 (600 x 450).jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	44226

Name:	P4050334 (600 x 450).jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	44227

Name:	P4050335 (600 x 450).jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	44228
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Bob Cherry is my favorite wood. You have soft and hard grain on the top piece. The soft will take the finish different from the hard. If you take it back down and apply 2 thinned coats of shellac mixed 50/50 with alcohol this will allot a even color tone when you apply the BLO. You did go natural right ?
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

The table looks very pretty!

Dave, by hard and soft grain, what exactly do you mean? Do you mean how the legs looks quartersawn while the wide flat pieces look flatsawn?

looks great to me, 3.5 a bf surfaced on all sides? that is a great price for mahogany.

Very nicely executed!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Thanks guys.
    Yes Dave, 2 parts mineral spirits and 1 part BLO. Each coat dried for 2-3 days then wipe on poly.

I found the mahogany at a discout flooring and decking place in Merrimack, NH. about 20 minutes from my house.
    It's called Uncle Herbies (or something like that). One of my kids said they drove by and saw lumber sticking out the door and the word discount on the sign a called me right away
    I've never worked with mahogany before either. I think I'll buy 6-8 pieces and give it a try.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

nice table bob!
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Bob great looking table very neat legs The wood seems cheap to me. Hardwood like that at 3.50bf aint at all bad in my books. Its already plained as well and you say 12 feet pieces, I would grab them.

Mark i think what Dave is refering to is the fact that the top is from flatsawn cherry. So one is cutting through the early and late wood rings to end up with more dense and harder wood where the cathedral patterns occur. I guess that area is a slice cross section of the late wood ring and therefore more dense in cell structure than the early wood which is the wood between the cathedral patter. Thats my guess and i hop i am correct, if not i dont understand at all. Dave help.
    cheers

Bob, the table looks great! If you will put the table in the sun for a few hours it will give the cherry a sun tan and even out the color.

I've worked with mahogany a few times. It works very well. It an cherry are my two favorite woods.

Mark for the top , which I think is awesome as it is, soft grain will shook up more finish plus the fact that the grain is changing direction all over the top reflecting light and color tones depending on the angle viewed. You can do something about that but it will take a good bit of practice.

You know how many of my customers can not get it into there heads that wood has charactor like that and that it takes a lot of time to work a finish to get that to change. Anywhere from pre stain application then water stain application to light toning with glazes. I tell customers wood has character why change it , it's beautiful !

BTW the 1# problem {customer do not understand} with refinishing is; when a piece comes in the shop and you can not make it look 100% as it was. Educating them that each time you strip or sand a piece you are compromising the character of the wood.

Bob main thing with mahogany will be dealing with fish-eyes. If they are really bad I will apply 2-3 coats [spray] sealer in piss coats. Supper light. Then take lacquer thinner on a rag and wip or rub the lacquer into the grain. This will fill the grain and seal in the areas that are giving off the fish-eye. Most finishers will use Fish-eye reducer, I never liked the stuff, after I have sanded the areas I wiped I apply 2-3 coats [ piss coats] then a few straight coats. 99% of the time the fish-eyes have been eliminated.

You can also seal the mahogany with a few coats of 50/50 shellac/alcohol, sand down then seal with the product you are using, oil sealer oil finish lacquer sealer lacquer finish and so on.
    Last edited by Dave Hawksford; 04-06-2010 at 08:52 PM.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com