fret saw or coping saw

Mark, a good fret saw can accommodate a wide variety of very fine blades, it works much better than a coping saw for removing the waste from dovetails. I use mine all the time for that purpose. A coping saw can get you through thicker wood and heavier duty jobs. They aren't for the same task. For doing trim carpentry, a coping saw is more suitable. For cleaning up dovetails, the fret saw is preferred. It isn't an either or, it's both, but then again, as you know, I am a tool pig.

Mark, out in my shop I have the size fret saw blades recommended by Rob Cosman for cleaning out DTs, I can't remember what they are, but I can send you the info.

Oddly enough, This is what came into my mind when you said fret saw.

A saw that's used for sawing fret slots. I guess I don't really see much difference between a "Fret Saw" and "Coping Saw" as you guys are discussing?

I've also got 'Jewelers' saw, for cutting mother of pearl inlays, which is also similar to a fret saw or coping saw, but is adjustable in blade length and uses some very fine blades..

I've got this setup for sawing fret slots...

5746_1sm.jpg

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Fretting/Fret_Slotting_Saw_and_Miter_Box.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=1366

I use a coping saw that works great. It is the Olsen Deluxe Coping with a 18 TPI skip tooth from Tools for Working Wood. It easily fits into the cut left by my dovetail saw and can turn a tight radius. Check it out.

I use a grandpa's old coping saw which is nothing special. It is about as accurate as any old $10 - $20 coping saw from the BORG. That jeweler's saw looks interesting . . . .