Thread: New Porter Cable 8" Variable Speed Grinder

New Porter Cable 8" Variable Speed Grinder

Last night on the way to the Superiorland Turners club meeting, I stopped at Lowes and checked out the new Porter Cable 8" Variable Speed grinder - 2000 to 3600 rpm. Although I have checked it out in the past, I needed to make sure that the Wolverine sharpening system could bolt under it. I had read a post somewhere that the Wolverine wont work on this grinder. It will and it does.

Now that I have it home, I mounted it on my grinding station tonight with the Wolverine grinding system as can be seen in the pictures below.

I sharpened several tools that I had just sharpened on my old 6" grinder. I was able to get a much better edge on the tools with the new grinder. The first thing I did to the wheels was dressed them with the diamond dresser.

The last shot shows the area that I have set up for turning. There is a debate going on in my head on whether the saw needs to move a little to the left. Actually, it really isnt in the way...... yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P3040572.jpg   P3040573.jpg   P3040574.jpg   P3040575.jpg  
    Rich (the Yooper)

"To the world, you may be one person, but to one person, you may be the world."

"Common sense is not so common."

So Rich how does the grinder work? Any vibration in it? What grit wheels come on it? Are you gonna change them out? How much was it?
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Thats a heck of a nice grinder stand you have there as well. Looks pretty darn sturdy!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

There is a little vibration. The wheels wobble axially a bit. The wheels are 36 and 60 grit. I plan to change them out. The first one will be 120 grit. I am not sure what grit for the second one. The cost at Lowes was $136 with tax.

I decided to combine storage with the grinder sand. The grinder should not vibrate, or at least that is my goal, so using the area underneath for storage shouldnt be a problem. I do have to make drawers yet.
    Rich (the Yooper)

"To the world, you may be one person, but to one person, you may be the world."

"Common sense is not so common."

Looks like a nice addition to the shop. Rich.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

It's funny how all the new PC equipment mysteriously looks like the Delta equipment it replaces I just picked up the 8" Delta at Lowes for $89 (closeout).

The tool mgr said something along the lines that PC has a better name in the home improvement stores (construction guys know PC) so Black&Decker (owns lots of tool brands) decided to rebadge a lot of the Delta equipment to PC. I see plenty of new tools in my future....

Nice wall rack for storing your turning tools! (last picture)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Satko View Post
    Nice wall rack for storing your turning tools! (last picture)
    maybe ken fitz gerald wil lbe looking in here and see it or you could post the link to him on the other side bill that would get his goat
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    maybe ken fitz gerald wil lbe looking in here and see it or you could post the link to him on the other side bill that would get his goat
    I was thinking of Ken when I posted. Where is he? I have not seen him posting lately. You don't think he has been too busy working on getting his shop organized do you?

havnt seen him over here but i dont cross the fence so maybe he been busy over there???
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!