Welding

I am not a professional production welder so my comments in an above previous post considering it safe are from my perspective as a part time welder. It would be interesting to hear from a full time production type welder on this subject. Or for that mater someone that deals with welding safety on a professional basis. Anyone here in either one of these categories?

Allen,

I certainly didn't mean to contradict or undermind your posting. I was just pointing out what I read. For what it's worth, I plan to get an electronic helmet when the time comes...;)

Thanks...
- Marty -

They work [auto-darkening welding lenses], they’re safe. They are as useful as training wheels on a child’s first bike. Save your money for something you will need for a long time.;)
Allen,
I guess I should clarify my post. I was directing that answer specifically to you. If I am correct, you are in the early stages of building a manufacturing company, and therefore must invest in essential tools. Also, you are young enough to learn the hand/neck coordination weldors have been using for a very long time to flip the helmet down. The trick here is to adjust the two knobs that control the tension for holding the helmet up so a flick of the neck will be enough to lower it as you begin welding.

If you have disposable income… go for it! One of those things may save you from the neck problems and permanently bruised collar bones I have.;)

Marty, not to start something here, but when was that book written?

Cheers!

Stu,

I just looked...updated and revised in 1997, so the info in it is almost ten years old! Point taken.

As for 'starting something'...I think you know I'm as thick skinned as most, so I'm not offended if you show that I'm wrong...which I often am...:rolleyes:

Thanks for the other info in your post. Now it's off to find a NEWER book on welding! ;)

- Marty -

I do know a couple guys who use auto darkening helmets all day long, never heard a complaint. I can't say as I buy the millisecond argument, but I'm not basing it on much, so I won't speculate. Personally, I don't do enough welding to bother with an ADH, and with a wire feed its easy enough to get along without one. They are really nice for stick welding though.

I did once spend all day filling pits with a mig. It quickly became a pain to lower my hood every time, so I'd just close my eyes and spot weld. Man, what a sunburn I had by the end of the day!

…I did once spend all day filling pits with a mig. It quickly became a pain to lower my hood every time, so I'd just close my eyes and spot weld. Man, what a sunburn I had by the end of the day!
In the idiocy of my youth I routinely tacked with MIG while just closing my eyes but not lowering my helmet. STUPID, and dangerous.

I just wish you guys would stop posting questions like this. :bang: Now you've all got me convinced I really need a welder, even though I don't know how to use one (yet). I also don't have the space to store one, and if I did, something tells me I wouldn't want to be welding in my carpeted shop anyway. :p

Sure would be handy to have around, though. And the Tool King website seems to have pretty good prices on refurbed Hobarts (and cheap shipping). :rolleyes:

Take the plunge Vaughn. I have not been without one for the last forty years. It is kind of like having an aircompressor. You do not use it all of the time but when you need it there is nothing else that can take its place. The recent mig welders do not take up any space to speek of at all. You can keep it in one of your kitchen cabinets. Your carpet will love you----never a dull moment as mini fires will be everywhere. I mostly weld outdoors with a stick welder.

We will be looking for pictures.

Allen

Same here. I've had a stick welder for over thirty years.
Thats about all I've ever run.
When I was in the truck shops [25 years], occasionally I'd use a wire feed.
Those are nice for thin gauge metals.

Just a bit of a footnote here.............

You CAN get a bad burn welding, even just a little, with out the right gear on.

I usually wear coveralls, but I had only a bit to do, so I just grabbed the gloves and did it.....

Later that night, my arm hurt.............

welding_ouch1.jpg
You can see the cuff of this sweatshirt is half off, this left just a bit of my arm exposed, and boy did it get burnt! :eek:

welding_ouch2.jpg
The pic was taken FOUR DAYS after the welding burned me, and no, I did not touch anything hot, that is a sun burn, just from the arc of the welder.

Gots to be careful!!:rolleyes:

FYI :wave: