Think I'll Call It Phoenix

Doug Miller

This one should have been fire wood. Lost the tenon once and took a large chunk out of the rim. Caused it to be shortened from both ends. Then, just as I was finishing it up, the inclusion along the side let go, thus the large gap right there in the front. I'll give more details once it is finished and I have some good pictures of it. This is a blackberry pic with only one quick coat of Velvet Oil on it. Be sure to let me know what you think of it to this point.

Attachments

• IMG00068-20100409-2218.jpg
    IMG00068-20100409-2218.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 75
That's a real piece of Art Doug.

I don't know about that name Doug it didn't come all apart & you didn't put it back together
You could give a nice long name like ...

Ocean front property in Arizona.

Or California Earthquake.

Or Poof Saint Helens.

Or really confuse people & label it

SH SH be vawee vawee quiet I'm hunting wabbits.

Great work Doug.... I have one similar I'm working on... it was a crotch piece that had a bark inclusiion in it that spaltter all over the shop when it started coming out.... it's still in progress and because of the inclusion I couldn't get the bottom as thin as I wanted.... I was afraid it would split on me...

I like yours... very nice piece of artwork...

Thanks for the good words. It was a lot of fun to turn. A lot of figuring out what to do next. I don't remember sharpening as much as I did with this blank. Hard I recon. The wood is carob that was sent to me from California. Because of all the inclusions and even dirt wads that were deep inside the wood, I believe it is root material, maybe even burl in sections. I'll share dimensions later when I get some finish on it and a better picture taken. Again, thank you all for the encouragement.