Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ok...

ok...

...starting on my 2nd ginger ale and shine... WV shine at that....hoisting a glass in memory of those poor souls that bought the farm in the coal mine... they were fellow WV'ians... maybe not the sharpest knives in the drawer, but faithful to a fault to their jobs and families. I wouldn't go down into one of those holes for NO amount of money...man wasn't meant to be groundhogs... but they's doin' all they knew to do, like their fathers, and thier fathers before 'em... rest in peace my mountaineer friends.
    "Treat everyone equally,keep your word, and overlook peoples' mistakes...you'll make plenty yourself "..... spoken to me by a much wiser man than I.

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    amen to that. and just becouse they worked in the mines, dont mean they wern't as smart as any one else.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Bellinger View Post
    amen to that. and just becouse they worked in the mines, dont mean they wern't as smart as any one else.
    Steve
    I've met many PHD's without a lick of common sense, and some 'uneducated' folks I considered to be some of wisest people I've ever met.

I make sure to never confuse education level with intelligence..... Just saying. My heart goes out to those guys and especially their families at this time...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

without the coal that they mined, we would be too cold to talk--my thanks go to the miners & their families

You do what you have to do for your family. No matter the job. My heart goes out to all of them.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Rest in Peace, brave folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Bellinger View Post
    Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    I've met many PHD's without a lick of common sense, and some 'uneducated' folks I considered to be some of wisest people I've ever met.

I make sure to never confuse education level with intelligence..... Just saying. My heart goes out to those guys and especially their families at this time...
    Gentlemen, the truth is, most have a HS diploma, which is more than their fathers did. if you've ever visited those areas, you'd understand that getting a HS diploma was a feat to applaud. the % that go on to tech school or college is probably less than 1%....and those miners are actually the "upper class" in their respective counties, making a darn good wage. I know the areas well, and they are hurting economically, which tends to lead to conyinuation of the same attitudes.. the goal many shoot for is SSI checks.
    "Treat everyone equally,keep your word, and overlook peoples' mistakes...you'll make plenty yourself "..... spoken to me by a much wiser man than I.

I'll raise a glass to go with yours.

I was two years in the gold mines in Timmins, Northern Ontario. I spent six months on the engineering staff at The Pamour Porcupine and then eighteen months working shift on a production crew at The Dome Mine. I worked at the 3750 foot level most of the time and spent my time mucking from chutes and long hole draw points using mucking machines on rails, drilling in the drift with a "long tom" on rubber, and did rock bolting in the cut and fill stope above me. I was 21....and that was 31 years ago.

Some of the guys I worked with had degrees, some had grade six. They all were guys I'd be proud to work with any day. We worked alone, each doing our own job, knowing that the other guys were doing their jobs and so the team got well paid. We were on a bonus pay system based on production and we were well paid because we all worked so hard. We had our share of casualties too, but none were fatal, so I guess we were lucky.

My heart is with those dead miners and their families.

John
    2420 & 2506 - The Dome.

One more post. Where would this country be, without folks like this? Are these not the people, that made America great? RIP

levels of education, who they are, where they live, it just boils down to a horrible accident where a bunch of hardworking people lost their lives, and its sad. Its hard to watch the news about this, and not feel loss.