Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vac chuck woes

Vac chuck woes

Well,
    I got some good info from John so I have wanted to make a vac chuck so I glued up some corian & here's what happened.

I am so pissed. I found one o-ring of the right size so I turned the whole thing & got the depth of the recess perfect & the o-rings fit exactly right. Then I drilled the thru hole of 3/8" then turned it around & used a spade bit of 7/8" (the biggest I had to the size of the bearings,) Then I was using my Ci1 mini easy rougher & just taking out dust when the dam thing exploded. was I pissed so I shut off the lights & figured I would make another one tomorrow

Click for full size

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Beland View Post
    Well,
    I got some good info from John so I have wanted to make a vac chuck so I glued up some corian & here's what happened.

I am so pissed. I found one o-ring of the right size so I turned the whole thing & got the depth of the recess perfect & the o-rings fit exactly right. Then I drilled the thru hole of 3/8" then turned it around & used a spade bit of 7/8" (the biggest I had to the size of the bearings,) Then I was using my Ci1 mini easy rougher & just taking out dust when the dam thing exploded. was I pissed so I shut off the lights & figured I would make another one tomorrow

Click for full size

Chuck what a bummer. you'll have better luck tomorrow.

Sorry to hear that bad news Chuck. Hope it works out ok tomorrow. Any idea what cause the explosion. I mean is there a fault in the casting of the material. You dont want it repeating itself again if you can help it after all that work.
    cheers

Chuck,

That stuff glues back together very nicely, strong and smooth.

Just a thought!
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

I'm not sure why it exploded I got the 1/2" depth perfectly & needed to enlarge the hole about 1/8" I had to hold the mini easy rougher on it's side cause the steel shaft was touching the corian before the cutting edge.

I think maybe I didn't make the diameter that houses the bearing thick enough.
    I think I'll add about 1/4" to it

Corian

Chuck, sorry to hear about your experience. While making mine, I experienced problems turning the corian. That's the reason I told you to go slowly and on the final measurements I used a file and sandpaper. Also maybe using the spade drill fractured the corian joints. Do you have a Fortsner bit? I feel that cuts evenly as compared to the spade bit. Better luck on you next try.

Maybe that's why they used aluminum on mine.

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

I think I know why it happened. I didn't rough up the corian with sandpaper. so it was way to smooth there was no adhesion.
    \
    Bruce,
    Did you buy one?

Well,
    I got to say thanks to John F for his help. After blowing up a few pieces of corian this is the finished product.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vac 1.jpg   vac 2.jpg   vac 3.jpg  

Vac Chuck woes

Looks like you got goin there chuck ole boy, now clean your fingernails before ya go eat