Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stanley Compressor (dead)

Stanley Compressor (dead)

Not sure where to post this. I have a 6 gallon Stanley compressor and I think the pressure switch went out. It'll pressurize the tank to about 20psi and no more. Continues to run and when I shut it off it rolls to a stop instead of stopping instantly. Does that sound like a bad pressure switch? Or could it be something else.

Thanks, Bill

Check for air leaks. I have a compressor that was doing something very similar and I discovered it leaking air at the head gasket. Mine would only build to about 30psi and just continue to run.

I don't think it's the pressure switch as you stated the compressor continues to run, but won't build pressure up.
    Brian

It's not the pressure switch.

More likely, it's a leaking or broken reed valve in the compressor head. Dirt can get under the intake reed and hold it open, which will cause the problem you describe.

There's also usually an air tube from the compressor to the pressure switch. If it's loose and leaking, then that could cause the problem, but you'd usually see and/or hear the leakage in that case.

My bet would be the reed valve.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Okay, this is where I need more help. I looked at the parts diagram for my compressor and I couldn't find the reed valve. I do remember that when I disconnected the tube from head to the tank and placed my thumb over the fitting on the head, I could hold it there with very little effort. Here's the link to the parts diagram for the compressor. http://www.bostitch.com/default.asp?...-OF&serialNum=

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Look at 06 an 77 on the diagram.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Last summer we found a crack in the line running from the compressor to the holding tank. couldn't make pressure but continued to run, and run, and run...

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Look at 06 an 77 on the diagram.

Thanks Don, I already priced those parts. I should probably replace the head/plate gaskets too right?

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Graupmann View Post
    Thanks Don, I already priced those parts. I should probably replace the head/plate gaskets too right?
    I would..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

So I took the head apart this afternoon and guess what. I think I found the leak. The reed valve on the piston looks fine, but this one is toast.

Thanks for the help Don.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF8128[1].jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    It's not the pressure switch.

More likely, it's a leaking or broken reed valve in the compressor head. Dirt can get under the intake reed and hold it open, which will cause the problem you describe.

There's also usually an air tube from the compressor to the pressure switch. If it's loose and leaking, then that could cause the problem, but you'd usually see and/or hear the leakage in that case.

My bet would be the reed valve.

That's what it was Jim, thanks!