Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Wine glasses

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tellico Plains, Tennessee
    Posts
    4,353

    Wine glasses

    I had a call from a wood turner up in South Dakota that saw a couple of turnings on my website... he called to ask a few questions and we've shared some turning information. He more or less specializes in wine glasses with wood stems. After a couple of conversations with him, I got motivated to do some more myself... I like to buy wine glasses at second hand, thrift and goodwill stores, cut the stems off and add wooden stems... so far this week I've got 4 sets done...

    The foursome is a glue up of Black Chakate stem with a Precosia base.
    The large globes are on Satinwood, The regular red wine pair are on Mesquite stems and the little 6 oz glasses are on Mulberry stems.
    Except for the Mulberry stems, all are finished with sanding sealer and wipe on poly... the Mulberry has a spray lacquer finish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 40-945-2.JPG   40-958.JPG   40-960.JPG   40-964.JPG  
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    4,012
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Reno NV
    Posts
    13,363
    Uh oh, the price for second hand wine glass has just gone up...

    But seriously, that's a great idea! and those look awesome.

    Nice job on making the wooden stems match and mate up well with the glasses...

    So, the question is, do you have a tutorial planned?
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Posts
    3,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    I had a call from a wood turner up in South Dakota that saw a couple of turnings on my website... he called to ask a few questions and we've shared some turning information. He more or less specializes in wine glasses with wood stems. After a couple of conversations with him, I got motivated to do some more myself... I like to buy wine glasses at second hand, thrift and goodwill stores, cut the stems off and add wooden stems... so far this week I've got 4 sets done...

    The foursome is a glue up of Black Chakate stem with a Precosia base.
    The large globes are on Satinwood, The regular red wine pair are on Mesquite stems and the little 6 oz glasses are on Mulberry stems.
    Except for the Mulberry stems, all are finished with sanding sealer and wipe on poly... the Mulberry has a spray lacquer finish.
    Now there neet. never would of thought to do that. what do you use to cut the stems off with?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tellico Plains, Tennessee
    Posts
    4,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Uh oh, the price for second hand wine glass has just gone up...

    But seriously, that's a great idea! and those look awesome.

    Nice job on making the wooden stems match and mate up well with the glasses...

    So, the question is, do you have a tutorial planned?
    Hadn't thought about a tutorial, but I'll see what I can do.. may be a while before I can start.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Reno NV
    Posts
    13,363
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    Hadn't thought about a tutorial, but I'll see what I can do.. may be a while before I can start.
    No pressure, just a question. They look so nice...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tellico Plains, Tennessee
    Posts
    4,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Bellinger View Post
    Now there neet. never would of thought to do that. what do you use to cut the stems off with?
    I use a dremel with a cut-off disc... at high speed, just a short touch against the stem will cause the glass to heat and break right where the disc runs against the glass. Be sure you use safety glasses to cover the eyes.. you can get little chips of glass flying about. I usually cut over the garbage can or over a large paper bag to catch the cut off stems and bases.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    GTA Ontario Canada
    Posts
    12,264
    Very neat idea and well executed .
    cheers

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Central (upstate) NY
    Posts
    1,457
    Could you just file and snap the stem off, like how you do with glass rod?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Amherst, New Hampshire
    Posts
    10,604
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Similar Threads

  1. And some more wine glasses...
    By Chuck Ellis in forum Lathe Project Showcase
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-04-2015, 10:03 PM
  2. wine glasses in process
    By Dale Johnson in forum Lathe Project Showcase
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-30-2014, 01:59 AM
  3. Some new wine glasses
    By Chuck Ellis in forum Lathe Project Showcase
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-06-2013, 02:05 AM
  4. Need to brag a bit -- Wine glasses to Uganda
    By Chuck Ellis in forum Lathe Project Showcase
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-10-2012, 04:28 AM
  5. Also did a few wine glasses and margarita glasses
    By Chuck Ellis in forum Lathe Project Showcase
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-22-2012, 02:33 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •