Dewalt new drill / impact combo set

Drew Watson

Well I had a near miss again with the ridgid impact driver due to the on off switch. I stuck a robertson bit into my hand last year due to this so when it happened again that was it, enough is enough. I am done with the cheap tools. I was out at the store today checking out the Dewalt & Makita drill/impact combo sets. I have heard nothing but great reviews on the Makita lithium combo set from mags and friends that own them but had not heard much on the new Dewalt lithium combo set. After a long chat with the sales guy and a great price I was convinced on getting the Dewalt combo set. Got it home and wow was I surprised and impressed. It is variable speed, 3-4 lbs weight and small size is amazing. It is 18 volt and I am told that the older reg 18 volt batteries will work with the drill and driver as well as the new lithium batteries as they have the same connections and the new chargers charge both types of batteries. Charge time is less than 30 min. It is new so still have to put them through their paces first but so far it looks great. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Ok Ok It was late last night when I posted. :doh: Here are the pics of the set. :D The more that I have read the reviews on these the more I am liking what I read on how versitile these new tools are. On you tube I found a side by side comparison of the two driving 3 lags into wood (here is the link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdVsdmaAWEw

and one thing I did notice with the makita was it's size ( being bigger ) and the light stays on for quite some time after the trigger is released. Though that is not a major thing it still makes me ask why? I did compare the two in the store and there really isn't much of a difference thjat I could see other than the size and the ability of the Dewalt to use any of the other 18 volt batteries that have been made for the drills since 1996.

Attachments

• Dewalt Drill and impact 002.JPG
    Dewalt Drill and impact 002.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 19
Here is a comparison of the ridgid and the dewalt. What I can't get over is the weight of the drill. They are both 1/2 drives and the dewalt weights a fraction of the ridgid. Actually the dewalt drill weighs less than the impact of the ridgid.

Attachments

• Ridged dewalt comparision 001.JPG
    Ridged dewalt comparision 001.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Ridged dewalt comparision 002.JPG
    Ridged dewalt comparision 002.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 22
I think you'll find them to work out just fine.:thumb:
My door guy swears by the makita even clams he's burnt up a hand full of the first dewalt impacts. I have had mine for quit some time now and have thought it was a goner on a few occasions. But it lives on:thumb:
As for driving 6 inch screws mine will do between 10 and 15 before it needs to be charged. The second generation ones seem to be the same in number of screws but a bit lighter and smaller in size.