Injected Epoxy?

Joseph Shaul

A friend of mine has a studio monitor which, during a party, fell off of its' stand and developed a major crack. The enclosure has twisted along the crack, and while I can clamp it back into shape easily enough, I need an appropriate glue that I can inject into the extremely narrow fissure that will hold the plastic and MDF together. Can anyone recommend a low-viscosity glue that can bond these materials, perhaps one that I can inject into the crack with a syringe? I was considering some sort of low-viscosity cyanoacrylate.

You will have to find a small area of the plastic to make a 'test' gluing. CA Glue and epoxies wont stick to certain types of plastics. Since CA glue is more likely to stick to the plastic, I would experiment with it first. Find a backside or place that would not normally be seen. Spread a small amount of CA glue on it. When it is dry, see if it will scrape off easy or not. If it comes off easy, try same experiment with epoxy. If neither work, go to a hobby shop and see what glues they have for plastic.
No need to experiment on the MDF because we know both will stick to it.

You mean like 100% methyl cyanoacrylate?

No. Viscosity of CA is designated in hundreds. #100 is as 'thick' as water and it goes up from there, #200, #300, etc. I have some #200 and can't tell it is any thicker than water. But for injection, #100 would probably be safest choice. I have a friend who sells CA, if you can't find what you need, contact me and I'll put you in touch with him.

If it cracked all the way through, you can pull the glue through the joint with a shop vac. Just put the hose against the crack and the glue on the other side. WaaLaa!