Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Making LOML's big desk - Finished

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

Making LOML's big desk - Finished

Well I been working on this for a while so I figured I'd show some progress. LOML wanted a desk for the new house, she had some rather specific ideas about what it should be. She wanted a filing cabinet on the left, a work space, some drawer in the center another work space and then another 42 drawer file cabinet. when I drew it up in sketchup it turned out the top will be 9 Ft long and 24" deep. Here are the 2 file cabinets and the 4 drawer center sections. She very specifically specified no plywood, other then that she left the choice of materials up to me. The material is 4/4 white oak. One think I did for the first time was make the glue up for the drawer pieces as one continuous panel then cut them in the proper size for the drawer, this kept the grain running continuous. Thye pictures don't show it very good, but it was a challenge. I still have some sanding and clean up to do. Then I'll add the feet and do the top. The top will be a 2 piece glue up, my hardwood supplier was able to find me some nice 10 ft pieces of 4/4 white oak that are 14" wide. I won't fasten the top to the case work until we are in the new house in order to make this thing movable.

Attachment 3989Attachment 3990

Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by Don Baer; 07-07-2007 at 07:18 PM.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Steve Clardy Guest
    Looking good.

Inset fronts.
    Baltic birch drawers?
    Half blinds?
    Full extension slides.

No ply anywhere? Cool
    What did you use for a bottom on the cases Don.

Steve, Baltic Birch there too.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Looking good Don. But curious...you guys don't consider Baltic Birch plywood ...as being plywood?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Pattie View Post
    Looking good Don. But curious...you guys don't consider Baltic Birch plywood ...as being plywood?
    Not as far as LOML is concerned..

O.K. Don...will keep quiet about it.

That is a very nice set of custom office furniture. Running drawer fronts like that add a lot of class to a piece, like with using the same board on base or freize and having the grain run around the mitre. It is hard to tell but it looks like you also have the top rail cut using the matching run of the grain too. It all looks sharp Don.
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Looks good Don...We won't tell anybody

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Schaubhut View Post
    That is a very nice set of custom office furniture. Running drawer fronts like that add a lot of class to a piece, like with using the same board on base or freize and having the grain run around the mitre. It is hard to tell but it looks like you also have the top rail cut using the matching run of the grain too. It all looks sharp Don.
    Shaz
    Thanks Shaz,
    Here is a close up of one of the file cabinates. I still need to adjust the bottom drawer but you can see how the top rail, top drawer and bottom drawer all blend together. I'll adjust the bottom drawer before final finishing.

Attachment 4008

Thanks for noticing

That's looking real nice, Don. If I had the time and money, I'd like to build myself a desk/command center for my office/studio. Maybe for the next house.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com