Would you please guide me ?

Martin Roy

Just the beginner and do the woodworking as my DIY hobby, so :doh: don't know the basic terms used in woodworking. would you please tell me about some basic terms and a little explanation, thanks a lot in advance :).

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be hard to know where to begin. There are terms about wood, about the different tools, about finishing, and about techniques, just to list a few areas.

I think you will get a much better response if you were to give us a list of terms you'd like explained. Then as you progress and terms come up, just post them, and we'll hop right on them.

Oh, and there are also terms for messing with each other's minds. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Welcome to the world of confusion.
Terms are easy compared to acronyms. :eek:
Take heart, as cruel as we can be, we are also kind and helpful. You are in a good place here. Don't know? Just ask.
I often ask when I don't know, which is pretty often. :(
I'll say: Wassa whizgidgit??? :dunno:
Good luck, don't be shy.

A lot of help you guys are :rolleyes:. Since this is posted in the Finishing sub-forum I will assume he is after finishing info. I'll start but we won't get very far before someone tells you to go get one of Jeff Jewitt, Peter Gedrys or other voo-doo goo-roo of the finishing world's books. A trial membership to Fine Woodworking online would give you more info in a couple days than you can shake a stirring stick at.

Sealer / Wash: a thin pre-application used to control or even-out colorant absorption. My favorite is a very thin dewaxed shellac.

Film: a generic term for the desired buildup of a finishing material, usually used when talking about topcoats.

Topcoats: The final material; varnish, shellac, poly, blends, lacquer, etc.

Filler / Grain filler: a viscous material, pre-mixed or in powdered form, used to fill in the pores of woods like red oak prior to or as part of finishing to allow a smoother appearance.

Next . . . .

if the left-hand hammer are in your left hand, then will you need right-hand nails ?

Seriously Martain there are so many terms used in WW it is hard to know where exactly to begin. I would suggest a book as well as just hanging out here and checking lots of the older posts. There is a world of experience and info here and you are not the first one to ask the same question. opps, Damn, Oh no are a few that are used commonly. :rofl:

Try this site out it might help a bit.

http://sawdustmaking.com/GLOSSARY/glossary_of__woodworking_t.htm

It would be hard to know where to begin. There are terms about wood, about the different tools, about finishing, and about techniques, just to list a few areas.

Thanks for helping me to make my question more compact:clap:

Ok ! let us start with this lesson, the topic is "wood".

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok ! let us start with this lesson, the topic is "wood".

Well, you got your hard wood, soft wood, dark wood, light wood, punky wood, funky wood, bunky wood, junky wood, and monkey wood. Wood chips, wood dust, wood filler, wood hardener, wood stain, and Wood Magazine. Flat wood, round wood, rough wood, treated wood, scrap wood, figured wood, burl wood, curly wood, spalted wood, green wood, ancient wood, petrified wood, bog, log, and dog wood, dressed, compressed, depressed, and obsessed wood.

Oh, and let's not forget DIY wood. Wouldn't want the search engines to miss that keyword either. :rolleyes:

You, my friend, are going to have to sift the chaff from the wheat here with all the jokesters! :rolleyes:

Choose wood first for the application. Function precedes form. It is usually possible to make the functional beautiful. It is not always possible to make the beautiful functional, unless its only purpose is to exist.

Most woodworkers work in domestic hardwoods. What is readily available, without applying for a second mortgage, in your area? These would be the first woods to familiarize yourself with. There are scads of books available to help you do that and then there is also us. :wave:

So start there. Tell us what is readily available where you are. If you don't know where to start looking, begin with phone book and look up lumber dealers. Read the Yellow Pages ads. See what's available. Tell us what you find.

And it might be helpful to tell us where in the world you are. This forum attracts worldwide posters and pundits.

Folks, I realize you're trying to be helpful, but our buddy Martin is about as fishy as a left-handed Toggleson wrench with overbearings and side wrangers. It's pretty clear he's using our forum to promote his commercial website by doing cross-site linking.

His site is hosted in Dubai and his IP address is originating in Pakistan. He has a similar site geared towards selling infant and baby clothing and accessories. Now I have no objections at all to a guy trying to make a buck with the Internet, just as long as he's not using our site surreptitiously to do so. ;)

OK, Martin, you're busted!

However, for other newbies out there you got a tiny sample of the info available here, as well as the banter... :thumb:

Folks, I realize you're trying to be helpful, but...

Really happy to update other family members on this forum about my location, that I have mentioned earlier in one post that I am in Asian region for a tour.

I don't think :doh: I have violate any rule and wouldn't do that until I am here to get the handy knowledge. You have given every user the right to add signature so I did as a bookmark. Every person in the world has the prime right of learning and I am using my right here, isn't so ?

Truly regard your positive attitude that not all Pakistani's are bad, I also found them caring and loving and say that few bad people are not the representative of whole nation.:)