Mesquite advice needed

Bill Simpson

Looking for some info from Mesquite users... Visited a friend in Ft Worth and mentioned I would like some Mesquite to make something. Couldn't find any. He made it a project and called several friends till a couple of logs were found. I had to leave before they were delivered so the friend was going to bring them when he came home. Unfortunately he passed away during his vacation touring the Southwest.

His wife brought me the two logs today. I haven't a clue what to make but I have two pieces, an oval shaped log 18" long and 8" dia. and another about 5" dia.

I painted the ends with Latex. and now I'm trying to think of the best use. I want two projects, at least. One for me and one for his wife.

Any special tricks or techniques for Mesquite, I have heard it is a difficult wood to use.

...Any special tricks or techniques for Mesquite, I have heard it is a difficult wood to use.

From a turner's standpoint, mesquite is pretty easy wood. It's pretty hard stuff, but it doesn't have nearly as much tendency as a lot of other woods to move or crack as it dries. A lot of turners go from green log to finished bowl with no notable warping or cracking. I'd think flatwork would be much the same.

Sharp Carbide tools is the secret as to what to make :huh::dunno:
Don't run out any buy any special cutters... not necessary for mesquite. I think Norm mentioned mesquite being hard on cutters in an episode many years back, and the myth has been perpetuated by folks who want to make sure some mesquite remains in a 'special' category (sawyers, retailers, builders). I've used a LOT of mesquite over the years and just don't see it being any harder on tools than cherry/maple/oak. Cuts just like other woods, machines cleanly, and takes a very nice finish. :thumb:

Bill,
I agree with Don... nice figured mesquite makes some exquisite bowls... matter of fact, a mesquite bowl got me into this wood turning thing.... I saw a bowl in a gallery down in Fredericksburg, TX by one of the local artists.... commented how pretty and that I would like to learn to do that.... the wife overheard me and told my son, so I got a lathe for Christmas... nevermind that it was a Ridgid spindle lathe and the slowest speed was 750 rpm.... I learned a lot on it before I got the Jets... I would suggest a nice bowl for you friend.

I also do a lot of peppermills out of mesquite... they've attractive and sell well.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. When I first saw the Mesquite logs I thought of Osage Orange only a much darker color. I am considering a Natural Edge Bowl (although My last two attemps have failed) I am not an advocate of NE turning... But the rugged wood needs some rugged turning. (or not?) Question, The logs are so small I wonder if turning a bowl with the Pith running through will be a problem.

There is a distinct sap ring around the darker heart wood, Should I turn a lidded box with the smaller piece would the sap be an asset or hinderance?

How about carving? He did love his Boots, He could wear a different pair every day. I have carved several boot projects. (but used a softer wood)

Funeral is Saturday, I truly has been a long week for his bride.

Sorry Bill but i dont see no wood:dunno: You sure you got these logs?;):)

You want a picture of a couple of logs with paaint on each end? Well possibly tomorrow after all my chores I'll snap a shot ... I know the rules "No pictures-didn't happen" sorry for the indiscretion....