Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Engine Class Action Lawsuit

Small Engine Class Action Lawsuit

Hello:

I received a card from a lawyer trying to drum up plaintiffs in a Class Action lawsuit. Apparently the makes of small Internal Combustion Engines were OVERSTATING their horsepower ratings!

I got a card saying I could get an extended warranty or a possible cash settlement if I join the lawsuit. I'm not interested in joining but I'm waiting for the same to occur with all things electric. My luck I'd get 50 bonus airline miles or something as useful.

Think of the number of people who were unfairly tricked into buying 6 Horsepower vacuums and things like that. . . Some enterprising lawyer will get to it eventually, when they are done fleecing Honda, Briggs and Stratton, Kawasaki and all the rest.

Cheers

Jim

Dont ya just love lawyers................NOT
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

I think lawyers, doctors and drug companies should not be allowed to advertise.... I get a "class action suit" notice about every 2 weeks from somebody suing somebody for something.. it's getting rediculous!

'course somedays if it wasn't for the junk mail, we wouldn't get much mail. They wouldn't have to cut so many trees for the paper either.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Mebbe I shoulda been a lawyer. My take is litigation lawyers keep things running straight. If folks lie, hit 'em in the pocketbook. We don't chop off hands like some countries. Cash penalties hurt worse.
    I could, maybe will, write a book on unseen and benign nursing home neglect.
    In addition......Oops.....I just came up to the CoC 'do not cross' line.
    BTW, the lawnmower settlements are in the range of $35.00 to $75.00. You can file on-line, only takes a minute. I'm going to.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Got a link? My tool funds are a little low right now. Daddy needs a new saw blade. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Mebbe I shoulda been a lawyer. My take is litigation lawyers keep things running straight. If folks lie, hit 'em in the pocketbook. We don't chop off hands like some countries. Cash penalties hurt worse.
    I could, maybe will, write a book on unseen and benign nursing home neglect.
    In addition......Oops.....I just came up to the CoC 'do not cross' line.
    BTW, the lawnmower settlements are in the range of $35.00 to $75.00. You can file on-line, only takes a minute. I'm going to.
    Frank.. I couldn't disagree more...having a lawyer watch another lawyer is equivalent to the fox guarding the henhouse.. they aren't in it to protect people, they are in it to add to their savings accounts at best, or to persue their own political agenda......period . I have lawyers in my family, on the federal level, and they'd tell you, it's a game to them, see who can beat whom.to see who can be proven "right" by some judge that is oblivious to the common mans' plight in general.... as for lying, tell me that lawyers don't lie, or stretch the truth, to acheive their own agendas... as for the HP rating thing... if they did it in order to charge more, and I mean a LOT more, then that's one thing... if they made a calculation error( which can happen) or if they merely rounded up to the nearest rating, no big deal IMO. besides, whatever penalty that a judge awards will merely be passed on to future purchasers of ALL their merchandise.the company will not take the loss, no company would. I see class actuon lawsuits as mostly frivilous, benefiting the lawyers more than the constituents...
    "Treat everyone equally,keep your word, and overlook peoples' mistakes...you'll make plenty yourself "..... spoken to me by a much wiser man than I.

Quote Originally Posted by James Edwards View Post
    Frank.. I couldn't disagree more...having a lawyer watch another lawyer is equivalent to the fox guarding the henhouse.. they aren't in it to protect people, they are in it to add to their savings accounts at best, or to persue their own political agenda......period . I have lawyers in my family, on the federal level, and they'd tell you, it's a game to them, see who can beat whom.to see who can be proven "right" by some judge that is oblivious to the common mans' plight in general.... as for lying, tell me that lawyers don't lie, or stretch the truth, to acheive their own agendas... as for the HP rating thing... if they did it in order to charge more, and I mean a LOT more, then that's one thing... if they made a calculation error( which can happen) or if they merely rounded up to the nearest rating, no big deal IMO. besides, whatever penalty that a judge awards will merely be passed on to future purchasers of ALL their merchandise.the company will not take the loss, no company would. I see class actuon lawsuits as mostly frivilous, benefiting the lawyers more than the constituents...
    Well said
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Frank,

I think you're right. Everyone I know says "Don't trust manufacturer's stated horsepower ratings." We all know this, it almost approaches gospel. In fact, several people on this site can tell you how to calculate 'actual' horsepower (for electric motors, click here).

Imagine the level of corporate cynicism it takes to say "Yeah, I know that motor's only 1 3/4 horsepower, but let's print on the box that it's 2 1/2. And use big red letters!" Anything that gets these big corporations to stop deliberately lying to the people who buy their products has to be a good thing!

Thanks,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    Got a link? My tool funds are a little low right now. Daddy needs a new saw blade. Jim.
    https://lawnmowerclass.com/Making_a_...laim_Form.aspx
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Something I've noticed recently while looking at string trimmers, is on websites, there is a disclaimer about the HP rating saying that it was provided by the manufacturer of the engine, not the company building the mower/trimmer. So it sounds like they are trying to distance themselves from the issue.
    Thanks for the link Frank. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3