Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need your prayers and crossed fingers

Need your prayers and crossed fingers

Saturday, I got a call from one of my galleries. They asked if I would be able to make 400 pen & pencil sets, with a desk stand, using reclamed wood.

I have a lot of Cherry that came from a downed Black Cherry Tree. I have reclaimed it from being burned. In my mind that is "REclamed".

I'm waiting for an answer - Yes or No.

Someone here got a similar bid last year. If they would be willing to PM me , I have several questions,

Thanks,

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

That is a great offer. First thing I would do is get their definition of "reclaimed" wood. You don't want to risk your thinking that cherry qualifies turning into a rejected shipment of 400 pens because they had something else in mind. Personally, I don't know what the definition of "reclaimed" wood might be other than salvage from a torn down building.
    Of course, that many pens turns into manufacturing. But, for the money...wat the hey? Take the money and be creative later.
    Do be sure to get paid sufficiently to reward your talent and work.
    And, a big CONGRATS.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I'm with Frank on this, congrats and I would ask for 1/3 down b4 you start to take care of your out of pocket expenses.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I went 50% down, just like I usually do.

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Shiverdecker View Post
    I went 50% down, just like I usually do.

Bruce
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

if i did my math right, that's 800 pens and pencils. way to go bruce! i guess we won't be hearing from you for a while....
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Since they're specifying "reclaimed wood," will they be supplying it? I'm thinking perhaps they have an old building, or a tree, with some sort of sentimental value to them that they'd want you to use.

Just guessin'.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

I think Jim may very well be right. That takes you off the hook, Bruce. Unless their wood is really bad, that wouldn't be a bad arrangement. Best of luck!
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

I got some PT from an old deck you can use.
    That would be reclaimed. Shoot I even turn 200 of them for a price.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Bruce sounds like you got your work cut out for you. I had to do some pens for our gallery from reclaimed wood. The wood was from a 150 yr old barn.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.