Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thick 'n thin puzzlement

thick 'n thin puzzlement

We have a wood sidewalk leading from the house to street. Recently, one of the board warped and turned upwards. Dunno why now, house is 13 years old. It wasn't rotted but warp it did.
    Enneyhow, I had a 'honey do' to fix. Took up old board and discarded. When I did, it seemed a bit thin to me but I have lousy skill at judging sizes. Just figgered it was a hunk of treated 2x6.
    Wasn't. When I laid the new cut piece in it stuck up, was thicker than existing boards in the walk. I knew the old piece was thicker than a one bye which, of course is really not a full 1" thick. Measured the hunk took out and found it was exactly 1" thick. Dunno why or what advantage an odd ball size would have.
    Good thing I have a planer. Ran the hunk of 2x6 through until it was down to 1" thick and screwed into place.
    Anybody have an idea why this walk would be made with such a strange dimension wood?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails board.jpg  
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

exact 1" made not be so strange, this board could be very old, can you measure the other boards without pulling them up

Slandered decking is 5/4 X 6
    Translated to 1" X 5.5" in the real world.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

5/4" when sloppy wet from PT will shrink to 1" when dried in the noon day sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    Slandered decking is 5/4 X 6
    Translated to 1" X 5.5" in the real world.
    Hokay...thanks. Learned something new. The walk and my whole deck is same 1". Makes sense whoever built it didn't plane down all that for no reason. If I ever have to make more repairs I'll just go to my friendly local lumber yard and get right stuff.
    BTW: After 13 years, here in the Ozarks, the wood is all still solid. Ends of posts resting on concrete are solid also. Gives a lot of confidence in the old style treated wood.

OK, now wat does "slandered" mean?
    Yes, Vaughn, I'll probably Google it before someone answers. It's just more fun here.

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    ...OK, now wat does "slandered" mean?
    Yes, Vaughn, I'll probably Google it before someone answers. It's just more fun here.
    I think Chuck meant "standard" but just got a bit fumble-fingered.

Or...maybe it was just wood that somebody said bad things about...
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

It is my understanding that most dimension lumber is named by it's rough sawn size. Like Chuck said they call it 5/4 because it's milled that way and finished (edged, planed, straight-line-sawed, etc.) to 1". Actually many of the conifer species are milled to 1-1/8 " to finish to 4/4 because there is less waste from wood movement. For us woodworkers it's good to know a little about how much different species move during kiln drying so you know how thick a board to start with. I just sawed some elm logs and am wishing I sawed them a little thicker than 5/4 because they sure moved during drying.

The small change in rough sawn thickness transilates to big money on volume for the bigger mills.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    I think Chuck meant "standard" but just got a bit fumble-fingered.

Or...maybe it was just wood that somebody said bad things about...
    Something like that Jim
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    Something like that Jim
    No problem, we all missspeiel now and then two.
    Kinda wat makes things fun around here.
    But, now I have a new puzzlement. Why? After all, we have standard one and two byes all over the place. My replacement piece came out of a pile I have of saved unused lumber. To get the official deck stuff I would have had to drive to the lumber yard, probably buy an 8' length, drive home cut, install and still have a 4' piece of waste to toss on the pile. Oh, well.

frank, use all the 2x4 and 2x6 pressure treated for adirondack chairs.
    I can send you plans, simple beautiful plans I have that you can put together 2 chairs in a weekend. Most comfortable adirondack chair Ive ever sat in.
    pm me with your email if you want the plans.
    Ive been mixing cedar decking(comes in the same 5/4 size from the borg) along with pressure treated to turn out a few chairs lately here and there(non profit chairs)