Thread: Kind of a strange hardware question....

Kind of a strange hardware question....

Hi folks,

I'm trying to find some hardware for a project I'm working on for a customer. It will involve using some probably 1/8" steel cable. (wire rope) I need to put some stops at particular points along the cable. I could use a sleeve and just crimp them on but then they'll be permanent. I'd like to make them adjustable if possible. What I thought they would be called is a "collet". Basically a short metal sleeve that would slide over the cable. But I was hoping to find one with a set screw in it. Then I could place the stop where it needs to be and just tighten the set screw. But any search I do for "collet" brings up something completely different. A collet is basically used in routers and machine tools. It is what the bit slides into and then a nut gets tightened down to hold the tood in place.

I hope I'm describing this sufficiently for you to understand what I'm looking for. Does anyone here have a better idea of what to call that or where to get something like that?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Take care

John
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Nevermind!

A couple minutes after making this post, I realized that I'm looking for a "shaft collar". Not a collet.

Carry on with your daily business.

John
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

was gonna suggest drilling and tapping one but you got your source already hows the world in detroit john? we are now in sunny california
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    was gonna suggest drilling and tapping one but you got your source already hows the world in detroit john? we are now in sunny california
    Actually the weather is BEAUTIFUL at this point! I love Spring. Hope things are well with you and the gang out there on the coast.

John