Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Marking Knife for Bill

ABQ NM

A Marking Knife for Bill

I wanted to have a few gifts to give the Tour de Wood guys when they came to SoCal, and although I had plans already for Larry and Tom, I was a bit stumped about what to make for Bill and Toni. Since I knew Bill did a fair amount of Neander woodworking, I decided to try making him a marking knife. I made the blade from an unused knife I had in the kitchen, and the scales were made from some olive wood Toni found and sent to me a couple years ago. (More on Toni's olive wood in this post here.) Aside from photos, I've never seen a marking knife, so I was only guessing about sizes and shapes. Time (and hopefully Bill) will tell if I came close.

Attachment 44652

The handle has indentations to help give it a spot to grip...

Attachment 44653

I used mosaic pins from Texas Knifemaker's Supply. I don't know how well the blade edge will hold up (it's Chinese stainless steel), but I do know I literally burned up (melted, to be more accurate) several HSS drill bits drilling the two holes for the pins. It's definitely some type of hardened steel...

Attachment 44654

And a detail shot of one of the pins, as well as an inclusion of some sort in one of the scales...

Attachment 44655

The handle is finished with a few coats of BLO, Tripoli and white diamond buffed, then waxed with Renaissance wax.

Bill, here's hoping you get many years of use out of it. I apologize again for running out of time before I could make a case or scabbard for it. That piece of folded-over and taped cardboard sure was stylish though, don't ya think?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

new york city burbs
    nice!! you gave out some beautiful gifts this trip.

Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Special. I'm sure that will be a treasured gift.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

No, not all of SoCal is Los Angeles!
    Those are both beautiful and thoughtful gifts. Congrats to you and Bill/Toni.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

DSM, IA
    Another beautiful gift Vaughn.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

North West Indiana
    Very nice Vaughn!
    God and family, the rest is icing on the cake.

I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place.

Premier Bovine Scatologist

Plainwell, Michigan
    it sure is a nice knife and feels good in the hand Bill is going to make good use of it i am sure. that olive wood is beautiful also. You inspired me
    vaughn and I picked up a marking knife blade at Ron Hocks yesterday so I have one to make. Get ready for questions Vaughn, I will have them

Escondido, CA
    Lovely! I need another bucket for the list of things I still want to do! The first one is still full!

If I were to do this, I'd want to make a indentation on the top near the blade to push down with my index finger. Did you find the steel hard to shape as well? How did you sharpen it into the point?

GTA Ontario Canada
    Vaughn it sure is nice. I think time will prove it to be a most treasured tool in Bills aray. I think you aced it. You definitely an artistic woodworker. Now spill the beans on those rivets. Aint seen those before and they sexy.

Thanks for posting this for me Vaughn! It is beautiful isn't it everyone? Thanks again for the gift Vaughn.