What chisel(s) for pens?

Al killian

I am going to try turning a few pens and not sure whats is needed. For now I would like to stay with the cheaper chisel(s). Penn State has a set for 29.95 for a 3/8 gouge, 1/8 parting tool and a 1/2 oval skew. The brand name is Benjamins best and are made from M2 HSS. Will these work for starters or should I look else wear?

Al, I'm by no means an expert pen turner, but I use a 3/4" roughing gouge for 90% of the pen, a 1" straight skew for about 5%, and sandpaper for the last 5%. If it's fancy or fragile wood, I'll use the sandpaper for a bigger percentage. I've blown up a few nice pen blanks by getting a catch when it's almost to the right diameter, so now I just resort to the 80 grit gouge on a block of wood if I suspect things are dicey. I'm not proud, but on the other hand I've also never blown up a turning with sandpaper. Yet. :rolleyes:

I don't have any experience with the little short chisels like the Benjamin's Best pen turning set, For pens, I'm still using the Harbor Freight set I bought when I first got a lathe. I do like the Benjamin's Best chisels I own (I have their bowl-turning set), and would buy that brand again.

Alan, sounds about right, but really, I too use my BIG STONKING roughing gouge for about 90% and then the skew or the spindle gouge, with a fingernain grind, for the rest. I use the #80 grit gouge only a little, I'm trying my best to get off of the sandpaper thing.

The HF set is a good value.

The most important thing is sharp tools, if they are not sharp, don't matter what you are using, or how good you are, this applies to the #80 gouge as well.

When sanding, keep the speed way down, heat is you enemy, and don't forget to stop the lathe and sand with the grain.

Cheers!

I go the cheap set from HF and have turned a bunch with them. I find that I only use the gouge and scraper for 95% of the work. A parting tool should round out what you need. (no pun intended)

I use a 3/8" spindle gouge to get to round then finish with a 1" skew. Occasionally I'll use a 3/8" skew to get perzactly down to bushings. I know, I know, a point is a point regardless of whether it is on a 1" or 3/8" skew, but that's what I do. Don't ask me why. :dunno:

All I use for my pens are the tools from the Harbor Freight 8pc HSS set. Bought it for $25.00 2 years ago and I hardly made a dent on the length of them yet.

I just use the roughing gouge, parting tool and skew from it for pens.

I do use the other tools for other turnings...and if needed, I know I can modify some of them for other use...and won't hurt me any if I mess it up ;)

I go the cheap set from HF and have turned a bunch with them. I find that I only use the gouge and scraper for 95% of the work. A parting tool should round out what you need. (no pun intended)

I know this is an old thread but I just joined today. :)

Mario is a good friend of mine and I have one of his pens. They are NICE!