A Bowl For Larry

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Since I had some small gifts for Toni and Bill when the Tour de Wood was at my house last weekend, I figured Larry should probably get a little something too. :D A few months ago Larry sent me some Michigan chocolate. Among the various things I made from it, there was this little bowl. It's about 9 3/4" by 1 3/4", and was just taking up shelf space at the house, so I figured Larry should have it.

Bowl 088b - 03 800.jpg Bowl 088b - 02 800.jpg Bowl 088b - 01 800.jpg

Nothing spectacular in the grain, but it's still a nice piece of chocolate.

Just for grins, here are a few pics of the bowl that the little bowl was cored from. It's about 10 1/2" by 2 1/2", finished with Formby's Tung Oil Finish (wiping varnish) and buffed with Don Pencil's PL compound and Renaissance Wax.

Bowl 088a - 03 800.jpg Bowl 088a - 02 800.jpg Bowl 088a - 01 800.jpg

It's interesting to see the contrast in the figure in these two bowls, even though they came out of the same blank. As I told Larry, turning crotch wood is kind of like a mining expedition. You try to find the vein of nice figure and expose it, without going too far and going past it. Had I mounted this blank the opposite way on the lathe, all of that pretty figure would have ended up as shavings on the floor.

Larry agreed to help me free up some more shelf space by taking this bowl with him, too. In fact, he seemed eager to help me out. That's Larry for ya...always helping folks out. :p

Seriously, Larry sent me two of the prettiest pieces of walnut crotch wood I've ever had the pleasure to turn. One of the pieces became this hollow form, which I'm keeping for myself. It's not for sale or giveaway...it's for my private collection. I really figured Larry deserved what was made from the other one as a token of my appreciation for sending me the wood in the first place. Thanks again, Larry. :thumb:

As usual, comments and critiques are welcome.

Well Vaughn normally we would use a term "that guy has an eye for the ladies" well in that vein i would say Larry and you have an "eye for wood reading wood grain":thumb::D

Very nice indeed. At some point you turners are going to wear him down. He has to crack at some stage keep at it.

Great gift Vaughn. That wood sure is getting some mileage. :)

what he gave me was very nice and a total surprize but the best honor of all of it was the fact that piece of my chocolate was good enough to be in his private collection,, and after seeing what he done with it , it was very evident why,, its one beatuiful piece. thanks again vaghn for some very nice gifts:):thumb::thumb:

well the bowl is home:) and i have already shown it to the workers at work and another lady tonight.. all thought it was gorgeous.. thanks again vaughn for such a nice gift.. oh i looked all over for the cd you mentioned i was all ready to jam with some vaughn tunes...didnt find it???

well the bowl is home:) and i have already shown it to the workers at work and another lady tonight.. all thought it was gorgeous.. thanks again vaughn for such a nice gift.. oh i looked all over for the cd you mentioned i was all ready to jam with some vaughn tunes...didnt find it???
Larry if you and Vaughn don't mind could you let me know what cd your looking for as i would love to here it also.also if Vaughn has any thing on u-tube(hint hint) We (me) would love to here it also.:D
Steve