workbench update.. with picts...

Brent Grooms

Well it was cold but productive this weekend. I found that the massive guides that are on my bandsaw are great except for use with 1/4 in blades... I cannot pull the upper guides back far enough so that they will not make contact with the teeth of the blade. But I was able to get things done. Having a bandsaw makes life SO much easier... anyhow on to the picts

Previously I had decided to switch to benchbolts rather than thru tenons. No problem drilling the holes except for finding a bit long enough to do the job!
Cnv0083.jpg

Drawbores for the upper and lower joints in the trestle legs. Note: It isnt that hard to pound the dowels into this joint. Especially with a little glue as a lubricant. It is possible to try to pound the dowel thru the other side of a blind hole! :doh: Don't ask me how I know that!
Cnv0084.jpg

Cnv0085.jpg

Lastly, the base assembled. In the background of these pictures you can see the twin screw and emmert vises that will be mounted on this bench.
Cnv0086.jpg

Cnv0087.jpg

Cnv0088.jpg

I plan on applying a generous coat of watco danish oil (either in natural or golden oak) and possibly a coat or two of poly, especially in the feet to help keep them from wicking condensation from the garage floor. If I can find an epoxy that might be a better choice. I am planning a cabinet insert into the base for storage, which I will be starting on soon. Look out kreg jig, time for action! At this point, I am thinking along the lines of a six drawer chest with 3 different drawer heights with full extension slides. Any tips /suggestions for doing the drawers on this?

I picked up the 2 saw (japanese dozuki) set that lee valley offers for about $40 that has replaceable blades... incredible cutting with those! about 3 strokes to trim each of the dowels without scratching the faces of the other pieces.

Thanks for looking!

AND DOUG... since I am working so hard on this bench, the least a neighbor could do is to give me a 12hr advanced notice on items for sale:rofl:

Looking good Brent...someday I got to build a bench and when I do, I'll know who to come to and ask for help.

Keep up the good work. :thumb:

Wow Brent, you are really going to town on this one! :thumb:

Going to be a real keeper for sure.

I too very much like my pull saws :D

I'd say the epoxy on the leg bottoms would be the way to go, should last for a very long time.

Cheers!

for some reason, I only ordered 4 bench bolts... hmmm:huh: musta been thinking I only needed 4, one for each of the stretchers.:rofl:

Rick... I am planning on recessing the emmert but this is subject to change. I still have to take it apart, blast and repaint each of the pieces. When I bought it, I didnt realize that the main shaft was 18in long and the jaws are 18x7in. I mean, I knew they were but didnt truly grasp how big this thing is until I had it in my hands! When I get froggy I will weight it but I dont think 100lbs is exadurating. When I get that far, the key will be the apron and whether I have one on that side or not.

Travis... most of the books / conventional wisdom say that you shouldnt attach the top in more than 2 points to allow the top to do whatever it wants with the change in the seasons. with the vise that I am using... I dont subscribe to that theory. I am planning on 4 lag screws thru the upper trestles into the top. They will only be snugged up and each of the locations are slotted to allow for movement. I dont think tipping will be too much of an issue but the top is planned to be approx 3.5x33x76. Once it gets set, it shouldnt move and I dont plan on re-arranging things more than once. Hence, the base is as big as it is.

Rick... I am planning on recessing the emmert but this is subject to change. I still have to take it apart, blast and repaint each of the pieces. When I bought it, I didnt realize that the main shaft was 18in long and the jaws are 18x7in. I mean, I knew they were but didnt truly grasp how big this thing is until I had it in my hands! When I get froggy I will weight it but I dont think 100lbs is exadurating. When I get that far, the key will be the apron and whether I have one on that side or not.

Brent,
This may seem obvious to you, but I had to learn the hard way, cut the emmert profile into the boards after just laminating the first few. Then cut out room for the vise shaft in all following boards before glue up. My table top weights well over 300 lbs as I built it in place. I then spent an inordinate amount of time over and under my table chisling and gouging out a recess for the profile, shaft, and swivel joint.:doh:
My turtle back already had all the paint removed. I like it that way. Spray it once in a while with whatever tablesaw top protector I happen to have (toolsaver, empire, bioshield). No notable rust in the year or so I've had it. Tis heavy, must weigh in at over 90 lbs since the UPS shipping label stated 105 lb in the crate.
rick