Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Communion Table & Stands - Large table done!

Communion Table & Stands - Large table done!

I started working on three tables I'm building for my church. The first, a communion table is essentially a sofa table and is modeled after a design published by Darrell Peart in his book on G&G elements.
    Communion Table - Drawing.PDF

The other two tables will be used to the hold the baskets used to collect the small communion cups (shot glasses). They will be smaller, similar to plant stands, about 14" square at the top.

It started with the construction of the jig to rout the leg indents. The next step was to mill the legs. Not an easy task because Lyptus is very heavy! I muscled two 6' long 8/4 by 8" boards across the jointer and about a dozen trips through the planer last night. Before I turned out the lights for the evening I ripped and crosscut all the legs to rough dimensions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0018 (800 x 532).jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	44755Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0019 (532 x 800).jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	44756

Today the grand-kids are coming over to assist in some yard work , so I don't know how much I'll get accomplished. I'd like to get the tops milled and rough cut, but time will tell.

I think the hardest part of this build is figuring out the best way to do the aprons. I really like the detail of what appears to be a form of frame and panel construction, but I worry about; 1 - my ability to accomplish it, and 2 - the strength of the table as I expect it will be bumped and moved often. Of course, the addition of the lower shelf probably helps with the overall rigidity.
    Last edited by Rennie Heuer; 06-02-2010 at 06:31 PM.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

i usually go the mortise and tenon route for aprons. that's what i did for the hockey coffee table. just have to make the apron high enough so that you have a good sized tenon.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Noren View Post
    i usually go the mortise and tenon route for aprons. that's what i did for the hockey coffee table. just have to make the apron high enough so that you have a good sized tenon.
    That's what I was thinking. Looking at the picture, it would seem that the apron is made up of individual rails that will require two mortises on each leg. The stiles at the legs need only be fitted flush to the leg. The stiles in the center will require mortises into the curved rails.

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Should be an interesting project. I'm looking forward to seeing the end results.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I did a little more digging and found a detail in Darrell's book on the apron. The 'panel' is actually the apron and it is mortised into the legs. The rails and stiles are actually applied to the panel and are not structural. This should make construction a lot easier.

This is a LINK to a picture of the table that Darrell makes. This man is a master by any definition.

www.wrworkshop.com

+1 on M&T for the easiest apron to leg joinery. That arched work is what really sets this look apart. I'm looking forward to going along for the ride ;-)
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Rennie have you got the latest issue of Fine Woodworking Magazine. There is a lovely table in their that you might like to see.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    I did a little more digging and found a detail in Darrell's book on the apron. The 'panel' is actually the apron and it is mortised into the legs. The rails and stiles are actually applied to the panel and are not structural. This should make construction a lot easier.

This is a LINK to a picture of the table that Darrell makes. This man is a master by any definition.
    Rennie,
    Darrell's leg indents appear to be tapered in depth. Are your doing yours that way, too?
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    Rennie,
    Darrell's leg indents appear to be tapered in depth. Are your doing yours that way, too?
    Yep. Built and tested the jig a couple of days ago. Works like a charm.

www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    Yep. Built and tested the jig a couple of days ago. Works like a charm.
    Yeah, I saw the jig. I just didn't realize it was tapered.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!