Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is hickory wothwhile?

Is hickory wothwhile?

i have got some hickory logs that can be cut into lumber. is it something to use or am i wasting the time and expense? i have seen some cabinets out of it and i know they use it for handles.. but what about overall value? also do any of you past or present sawyers have any input on hard maple? how long can you wait till it needs to be sawed? as for cherry i have 3 logs avaible of that to get, but they are still standing right now, would it be best cut now rather than in the spring time say april? once again the sap factor? thanks for the input
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Alan DuBoff is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Hickory/Pecan is great wood, I like it a lot. All of our milage varies. It can be bought slightly less than some other woods typically, but it's really hard, make sure you have sharp edge tools and blades. I think it looks nice also.

It typically sells for about $2-$4/bf on the west coast, and is more plentiful in the south, in fact the wood on the west coast must come from the south, we don't have any of the trees around here that I know of.

BTW, it checks easily as it dries.

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    as for cherry i have 3 logs avaible of that to get, but they are still standing right now, would it be best cut now rather than in the spring time say april? once again the sap factor? thanks for the input
    Larry, the only thing I can comment on it the timing. Cut 'em now while the tree is dormant. Once the sap starts to run in the spring you'll have much higher moisture content.
    All the best,
    Ian G

**Now holding auditions for a catchy new signature**

Best time to cut anything is in the winter when the sap run is dormant assuming you are far enough north that it gets cold enough for that to happen. Cut the cherry now and end seal it with AnchorSeal. You can put off milling it until it gets warmer if you like. Same with the Hickory. Not necessarily so with the maple. If you want the really white maple, get it milled and in a kiln as soon as you can after cutting. While you may get away with it being down for a while in a real cold climate, the longer it's horizontal, the more likely it will turn brown on you. Now if you don't mind the brown vs the white, there will be no other adverse effect of waiting for while (at least not any more so than any other log). It's purely a color issue.

Larry, My first experience trying to make lumber out of a tree was with Hickory. I quarter a 14" trunk into small boards. They kept their shape very well but got infested with bugs so I never brought them into the shop or used for woodworking...but they made the BEST smokin chunks I ever had.

FWIW...I thought the qt/saw hickory boards looked good. Nothing fancy...just good solid wood similar in appearance to white oak. Sure is tough.

Hmmm...Think I'll have some pork BBQ tonight.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by John Whittaker View Post
    Hmmm...Think I'll have some pork BBQ tonight.
    I thought in the Carolina's that was redundant, isn't all Bar-B-Que pork..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Don....You know that...and I know that....

I was just being clear so the folks in Texas, & Kollifornia knew that we can actually make BBQ from something other that a cow.

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mt
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    I thought in the Carolina's that was redundant, isn't all Bar-B-Que pork..
    My wife and I were driving down south from Maryland, where we used to live. Stopped at Rocky Mount, NC and pulled into a likely looking barbeque joint. My wife looked closely at the menu and then when the waitress came, asked "Excuse me, but what kind of meat is it?" The waitress looked for a moment, her eyes growing larger - I thought for a sec she would panic and run from us foreigners. Then suddenly, she straightened up and said, "Well, hon, it's pig!"

I was ROFL and my poor wife (raised in New England) just said, "Oh, then I'll have the pig sandwich with fries and slaw."

BAck to the subject at hand, I saw some wonderful rocking chairs made of hickory down south. The wood looked great.

Does hickory grow in MI??

hey chip

the maple is hard maple so the white isnt an issue is it? just soft maple is white i think??? and for anchorseal goes will that stuff soak in the end in this kind of weather 8 to 20 degrees farin hit had some and was gonna give them a shot but the local sawmill dont use anything anymore they uised to use a parfin coating but now nothing will cut the cheerys this winter then and get them later.. plan on cuttin in early spring or late winter..

Does hickory grow in MI??[/QUOTE]

sure does jesse kinda like weeds,, in my area you dont have to go far to find one, makes for excellent tree rat huntin