Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some folks just wont listen.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

Some folks just wont listen.

My neighbor is putting in cabinates in his garage. He got a great deal on some 3/4" partical board ($8/sheet). He borrowed some of my tools and I went over yesterday to see how he was doing. He had all of the carcases made. He has made 4 boxes two of them 4x8 and the two others 4x6 all 24" deep. While I was there I asked him if he was using glue on his butt joints on the boxes and he said he did on the first two but it was to much of a hastle so he quite. He is just using an air driven brad nailer to hold them together and said that he figured that 1 1/2 brads should hold fine. I reiterted about the glue but he said he would just use more brads.
    We talked about the doors and he said he was going to use 5 hinges on the bigger ones and 4 on the smaller one. I talked him to use a good hard wood for the face frames. Well today he's doing the face frames and using more particle board and no glue. I wonder how long those 3/4" doors are gonna stay hung.

Maybe we should start a pool to see how long the doors stay on..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

They may come apart before he gets them hung! You tried--not much more you can do.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Some days, if it ain't fatal, experience is THE best teacher. Probably end up being your fault anyway, after all they were your tools!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

I don't know how many times I've said to someone, I wouldn't do that if I were you.

I have burned a lot of those cheap cabinet parts in my wood stove.

I really like it when after putting a little weight on them, the shelves start looking like a banana. Or just spill a little liquid on them and watch them grow.

You might want to ask him if he wants a punch in the nose................the pain is over quicker.

I really hope that they don't have an animal that might get hurt when they fail catastrophically. The only way this could be "better" is if they plan to use said cabinets as storage for their fine china.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kosmowski View Post
    I really hope that they don't have an animal that might get hurt when they fail catastrophically. The only way this could be "better" is if they plan to use said cabinets as storage for their fine china.
    no these are just for storing garage stuff. Theyu don't have an animal but they do have 4 young children. I hope they stay clear.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

As I mentioned to a fellow FWW member earlier today, "You have to learn from the mistakes of others, you don't have time to make them all yourself."
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

There's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over!
    Jesus was a Woodworker

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mooney View Post
    There's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over!
    Hey I work for them . . . . Oh yeah, that would be the State.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I just know that in the next few days he's gonna be over here asking me how to fix it...