Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is this birdseye?

is this birdseye?

I have some interesting figure in some soft maple and I am trying to figure out whether it is a little birdseye or just sawyering. The pics I took didn't show the figure well. I needed to fiddle with brightness and contrast a little for the below pics.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	birdseye_maybe.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	44761

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	birdseye_maybe2.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	44762

So, do you think I have some birdseye?

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Mark this is waht I call birds eye. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Birds eye.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	44764 The one on th eright is birds eye, the one on the lefty is curley maple.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Don thanks. It looks like birdseye maple figure looks similar to waterfall bubinga?

Mark sorry no that's not.
    But this is
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tn_bridseye 001.JPG   tn_bridseye 004.JPG   tn_bridseye 008.JPG   tn_bridseye 009.JPG  
    Last edited by Chuck Thoits; 04-18-2010 at 02:17 AM.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Thanks for the examples. After looking at the endgrain, I think my figure is quartersawn maple. I think it is still rather pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kosmowski View Post
    Thanks for the examples. After looking at the endgrain, I think my figure is quartersawn maple. I think it is still rather pretty.
    Yes it is some pretty wood. That's for the table right?
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

It sure is. I was going to use that piece as an apron piece, but it is so pretty that I might try to find a way to put it in the top if it is long enough. If I'm able to find a quartersawn piece for both front and back, will this help stabilize the table as a whole even if the middle pieces are somewhere between quarter and flatsawn?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kosmowski View Post
    No problem, Mark . Thats from my statsh, I got some purty stuff hidden away for some project. yesterday I was picking up some maple and there was a stick 5 1/2 wide and a little over 8 feet long of some 4/4 in the regular hard maple area. I picked it up and added it to my cart. When I was getting ready to check out the clerk (owners wife) tried to charge me for birds eye. I showed her where I got it from and she sold it to me for the regular hard maple price. $4.99 bd ft. I stuck it in my stash for the right moment..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Birdseye is exactly what it sounds like... Peppered with little eyeballs some often look exactly like round eyes. What you have is some nice figured wood. Don is right on his example.

just to clarify thing I took another picture. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wood.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	44769 The wood on theleft is a piece of intrument grade maple I have in my stash. when you see it in person it seems to be on fire. in my opinion there is nothing purtier. On the right is the birds eye along wth some highly figured quilted maple that I got for the commision. This is what I look for when I am buying maple.

BTW I have no idea what I am going to to with the piece on the left but rest assured it will be a special piece. it is only 24 x 6 x 4/4