Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grinder & Wolverine System

Grinder & Wolverine System

The Wolverine System instructions pertain to a 8" grinding wheel. Can this be configured to using a 6" wheel variable speed grinder? What would the change in measurements require?

Yes it will and it will come with the instructions to tell you how high to set the grinder. The 8" will just give you less of a hollow grind on the tools.

Jay
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Hollow grind

Jay, What do you mean, less of a hollow grind"?

Hollow grind is caused by the dia of the stone the bigger the wheel the flatter the grind the only thing I can think of to compare to is a cove cut where the tool comes in contact with the stone. If that makes any since to ya if not I might be able to find something on here to explain it better.
    A Turn N Time

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

John check this out it might help to see what I am trying to say

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grind
    A Turn N Time

Frog Pond Guitars

Jay is right. Personally, I would not recommend, or use, a 6" wheel for wood working tool sharpening.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

John,

People are right when they say an 8" wheel would be closer to ideal. On the other hand, I'm still using a 6" wheel with my wolverine, and muddle along just fine...

Thanks,

Bill

Grinder

Thanks for all the helpful hints. I get what you mean Jay. Now......minus the wheel covers can I use an 8" wheel on a 6" grinder? With the elevating of the grinder to required distance and height, it should have clearance for a larger wheel.

if you remove the wheel cover, you can install a buffing wheel but the cover is need to be in place when grinding because grinding without the REST is not so simply or easy

I tried that, John. But the 8" wheels with no covers was an accident looking for a place to happen. Those wheels take hide off real quick! Too scary.

I could not find the grinder I wanted so I went with a 1" strip sander. I have an 80 and 120 grit blue zirconium belts plus a leather belt with the green stick.

Super sharp. I like it so well, I have stopped looking for a grinder. I did have the strip sander that I used little. I also had a 2 speed motor - 1150 & 1725 RPM. I wired it to run at both RPM'S. A few minor mods and it works real well with the Wolverine.

As a bonus, the tool never gets hot. I can hold my fingers right near the belts while sharpening without the tool even getting warm.

Second bonus is that I can still used the strip sander for its primary purpose. Just change the belt.

I'll take some pix later and post them, if you wish.