Grinder & Wolverine System

Hollow grind is caused by the dia of the stone the bigger the wheel the flatter the grind the only thing I can think of to compare to is a cove cut where the tool comes in contact with the stone. If that makes any since to ya if not I might be able to find something on here to explain it better.

John,

People are right when they say an 8" wheel would be closer to ideal. On the other hand, I'm still using a 6" wheel with my wolverine, and muddle along just fine... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Grinder

Thanks for all the helpful hints. I get what you mean Jay. Now......minus the wheel covers can I use an 8" wheel on a 6" grinder? With the elevating of the grinder to required distance and height, it should have clearance for a larger wheel.

if you remove the wheel cover, you can install a buffing wheel but the cover is need to be in place when grinding because grinding without the REST is not so simply or easy

I tried that, John. But the 8" wheels with no covers was an accident looking for a place to happen. Those wheels take hide off real quick! Too scary.

I could not find the grinder I wanted so I went with a 1" strip sander. I have an 80 and 120 grit blue zirconium belts plus a leather belt with the green stick.

Super sharp. I like it so well, I have stopped looking for a grinder. I did have the strip sander that I used little. I also had a 2 speed motor - 1150 & 1725 RPM. I wired it to run at both RPM'S. A few minor mods and it works real well with the Wolverine.

As a bonus, the tool never gets hot. I can hold my fingers right near the belts while sharpening without the tool even getting warm.

Second bonus is that I can still used the strip sander for its primary purpose. Just change the belt. :thumb:

I'll take some pix later and post them, if you wish.

John, I know a number of folks have successfully used a 6" grinder with the Wolverine. The jig is more important than the grinder when it comes to getting good results. ;)

if you remove the wheel cover, you can install a buffing wheel but the cover is need to be in place when grinding because grinding without the REST is not so simply or easy

The factory rests are removed and replaced with the Wolverine, so that wouldn't really be an issue. I'd agree with Carol about the potential risk of running without the covers, though.

John When I bought the wolverine jig and started with the 6 inch wheel that is now only dedicated for planes and chisels and bought the 8 inch variable speed ( which never gets used) dedicated to the lathe tools only and it does make a difference in my opinion to how the tools sharpen and perform.

The risk/reward of running a grinder without cover is not worth trying.
A wheel can explode, 1750 "slow speed" is dangerously too fast. Not even a full face shield can give you enough protection.
That can happen when using the Wolverine. I have witnessed it twice at Woodcraft. A slip of the tool could jam the wheel, big chucks of the wheel broke off. Nobody actually saw how that happened. Be careful using the sliding arm on blunt angle tools. When the tip is ground away, the tool and the center of the wheel almost forms a straight line. When grinding sharp angle tools, the tool is well above the line from the pocket hole to the wheel center, jamming is unlikely.

John, I know a number of folks have successfully used a 6" grinder with the Wolverine. The jig is more important than the grinder when it comes to getting good results. ;)

The factory rests are removed and replaced with the Wolverine, so that wouldn't really be an issue. I'd agree with Carol about the potential risk of running without the covers, though.

will you try to explain how you can install the Wolverine on the grinder when the cover were removed

Frank you have to elevate the grinder with a wooden block off the table top by an inch or so depending on the grinder and that is with just the normal 6 inch wheel. The 8 inch would require I am guessing to elevate the grinder by more.

I only had to elevate my eight incher by one inch. Don't recall if that was a trial and error or per the instructions. At the moment, I'l too lazy to dig out the instructions. But, they are online.

so what you are saying [so many words] that the wolverine is a outboard rest

Well somewhere out there in internet land is a video on sharpening with wolverine setup that I thought was done by one of the editors of wood magazine. It is a great vid, thought I saved it or put in in my favorites. Anyway, the guy that demos it is very good. I'm thinking he used a 6" grinder, fact I think he recommended it.