I hate Thieves

Bill Simpson

Last fall the motor on my pool pump was getting really hot and then started to squeal loudly, so we shut down the pool and closed for the winter. I had set the pump & motor by the garage door as I planned to take it to the elec. motor shop to have new bearings installed. Never got around to it. Moved it out of the way all winter long. Today I decided to take the motor to the shop. Where is it? No not there, For the past couple years, If you leave it outside at night, It gets gone... Several times if we leave the cars unlocked next day the ashtrays are empty of change and everything is gone through... (The security light only seems to make it easier for them to see what they are doing)

So, today I had to buy a whole new outfit. I did some research and it seems that the pump I had was designed for an above ground pool (mine is inground) and did not flow enough water so I did some more research and found a savings on Amazon.

At the pool place $500+ tax and with tax and shipping $375 on Amazon, be here Thursday. Same model and brand... (I need that US Census job to pay for my toys)

I agree, thieves, dastardly demons!! So far, big dogs have been a good prevention for me. Sorry to hear of the theft, congrats on the amazon score! Scrap is going up, so more will be gone. Around here they steal the electrical wiring off of the pivot irrigations for the copper. If they would only work half as hard at a real job,,,,,,:dunno::dunno:. Guess it isn't in their DNA.

Without knowing what your deductible is, if you have replacement insurance on your home, you might be able to get an even better discount through the insurance company.
Like you though, I hate to have to replace things because some low life doesn't want to work and takes other peoples stuff.

Bill + 1 on the hating thieves. Glad you were able to make a good score. But it aint money you had planned to have to spend. Makes one mad :mad::bang: I can relate to your story which is why i moved countries.

Just think of what tools that money could have bought.

My neigbor across the road and i have been thinking of putting in a CCTV camera setup as a deterent and means to catch any driveway criminals. They are pretty cheap nowadays and can be hooked up to DVRs pretty easy. I need ones that have audio too cause if NN gets out of hand again verbally i want to catch the whole shebang.(LOL)

Last edited:
Had a friend who thought the CCTV thing was just what the doctor ordered after a series of thefts from his property over a 5 month period. Give you one guess what the next thing stolen from his property was. :doh:

don't tell me that they stole his house [ no pun intended ]

I'm with you, Bill. I hate thieves. Hopefully your perps will get their due soon.

Just backed up to it, hooked up and drove off HUH :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Years ago there was a new bank in Albuquerque that was using a portable building (mobile office on wheels) while their brick and mortar building was under construction. My friends and I used to joke about hitching it up and towing it away in the middle of the night...a REAL bank robbery. :rofl:

A guy down the road building a house got to the site the other day and two guys were on the front porch. He asked them what they wanted and they said they were looking for someone. Owner told them he never heard of that person. He of course got suspicious and stayed in the house with no one around the next day. Sure enough they came back and broke in. They ran when he surprised them. He got the plate number and the sheriff caught them. One ran and a blood hound tracked him back to his house and it was full of stolen stuff.

I can't stand a dang thief!

Real Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Wasn't there a Western show a while back... Have Bank will travel Reads the card of a man.... No? I'm sorry, have gun will travel... :eek:

Would be a cool heist, the getaway car was a tow truck... :rofl::rofl:

Every year we have these kids wandering the streets at night, Was a time past when all the homes were same aged young families and all we had to worry about was Big Wheels all over the place and kids playing under the streetlamps, But only us few old Grandparents are still here and the rest of the houses are rentals. Police step up patrols when you inform them of these activities but still w/o constant watching....

Kids mostly, I have to Lock everything, My Friend a mile away still leaves the keys in his truck and doesn't even have a door key to the house. Times they are a changing.

Who would want a Pool pump? The same fellows who stripped all the copper ground wires off the poles a few blocks away, good thing ours are burried deep. Went to salvage. There lies the faught. Salvage guys shoud have to follow the sme rules as Pawn shops, Show ID and keep records. A while back I read an article where they were stealing iron manhole covers, now, when they sold them at the salvage yard don't you think one would ask where they got them? :huh: "Oh they been laying around the shed for years, my uncle won them on a poker bet" Geeze, Little did they know I had thousands of dollars of (in the box) electronic equipment in the back of my truck for two weeks last month. Sure, the tailgate was locked but the canvas cover was not... Which reminds me, My wife's Miata needs a new rag top, fellow I got it from said he left the doors unlocked so they wouldn't cut the top to break in. Some dummy sliced a hole to reach in. we leave nothing short of a crumpled burger bag in the car for fear of break in.

My truck has a great alarm but I can't hear it from my bedroom (but boy my neighbor can) Good thing it shuts up after 20 minutes. (good thing I have an understanding neighbor)

One time they stole all the CDs from our vehicles and the police found them scattered all about the next street, guess they aren't into Hawaiian music and Cowboy songs. (Gene Autry, Roy, & Tex....) Riders in the Sky... Ah, the pleasentness of the songs. Mrs. Hickory had new CDs and they were never found.

Conceal Carry is legal here and already in play but you have to be awake to do the Wyatt Earp thing so what good is it? Not worth sitting up all night to catch one. But should I....? You never know when it will occur but... Spring break (Kids out of school) same time we were out of town (cars left behind never moved) guess that is when it all happened...

Partial my faught for leaving it lay, but who would of Thunk? Got an E-mail saying it was shipped and be her tomorrow so I'm OK, a little broker (but who isn't) but they took the cord nd the special locking plug that fits the outlet... Now I am $60 more in dept for the setup. Will it never end? :dunno:

The house we bought a couple years ago is in a 'transition' neighborhood. Old houses that, as a rule, are being purchased and rehabbed as they're sold. It's an 'okay' area according to crime stats (real estate agent was recently retired local police), but we're right at the edge of where it becomes not so okay... and just a couple blocks away from 'bad'. We haven't had any problems yet, but I suspect it's just a matter of time. I think the fact that work at night and am outside a good part of the day has helped. :(

A few months back our house was robbed while we were at church on Sunday morning. They took several things adding up to over $4,000, including my brand new gun and laptop. My wife had all her jewelry stolen. It wasn't that it was worth a whole lot, but there were things she had from the kids and such. Probably ended up in a ditch somewhere. Anyway, we filed with our insurance company and they informed us that now our insurance has gone up. We did everything right, locked the doors, got an outdoor dog (which by the way is a joke when it comes to protection), never filed a claim; and now they tell us we have to pay more for doing nothing wrong. I'm with you all; I hate a thief.

well you will get restitution when they are caught and sentenced.... according to the judge they owe you that.. but i havnt got a dime. crime does pay and i have to many examples within a few miles of me.

Years ago there was a new bank in Albuquerque that was using a portable building (mobile office on wheels) while their brick and mortar building was under construction. My friends and I used to joke about hitching it up and towing it away in the middle of the night...a REAL bank robbery. :rofl:

I vaguely remember.. they made a movie about doing that very thing... my step father use to tow a 35 ft mobile with an old '51 Chevy sedan... he had a newer vehicle too, but it wouldn't tow the house.

My friends and I used to joke about hitching it up and towing it away in the middle of the night...a REAL bank robbery. :rofl:

The the movie "The Inlaws" With Peter Falk and Alan Arkin Had an interesting Armored Car heist at the begining of the movie. Loved that film. I haven't seen the remake with Michael Douglas, but can't imagine it could be better than the original. "Serpentine, Serpentine!" ( You have to have seen the movie to understand that last) :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited:
Was doing some work today and had reason to talk to the appartment supervisor (from where I suspensioned where the thieves had come) and he spoke of "those kids" indicating a family (which I had not considered) that were suspected of vandalizing his area... Hmmmmmm? I' keep a watch over them A couple of years ago they borrowed a snow shovel and I had to go get it when they left it beside their house a couple weeks later... Try to be a good neighbor and it bites you in the posterior.... :(