What kind of finish to use?

Tom,
If you're going to finish the drawers - inside or out (except the face) - DO NOT use poly. The fumes will be in there just shy of forever, and will permeate whatever you store in the drawers.

Use shellac instead. The odor will be gone as soon as the alcohol flashes off.

Jim I finished these drawer

attachment.php

inside and out and allowed them to dry before installing them. They were fine within a couple of hours. I used poly.
:huh::dunno: I guess it is a dry heat we have..:D:rofl::rofl::rofl:

PS Sam maloof used Poly exclusivly on his pieces the last 20 years and he didi the insides of drawers to.

Jim, this does not have any drawers. The two doors at the bottom allow access to the bottom section. The openings in the side are for a couple of wicker baskets that will be slid in and out from the openings. Do you think the smell would stay in the bottom of this? The doors would be closed most all the time.

Tom

We all have our favorites sdo with a grain of salt here is mine...

I prefer Oil Based Poly. second is Wipe on Poly but never ever WB Poly. why? You are asking fo a toughener for the soft Pine. Poly will do that but not the WB Poly. Regular strength Poly will absorb into the wood and stableize the wood making it harder, WB only coats the surface. IMHO

We all have our favorites sdo with a grain of salt here is mine...

I prefer Oil Based Poly. second is Wipe on Poly but never ever WB Poly. why? You are asking fo a toughener for the soft Pine. Poly will do that but not the WB Poly. Regular strength Poly will absorb into the wood and stableize the wood making it harder, WB only coats the surface. IMHO

Bill I agree with you. I use a solvent based, wipe on poly. I used to spray but since my shop is so small I have changed to wipe on. I have to do more coats but it dry so quick this is not a problem.

Jim, this does not have any drawers. The two doors at the bottom allow access to the bottom section. The openings in the side are for a couple of wicker baskets that will be slid in and out from the openings. Do you think the smell would stay in the bottom of this? The doors would be closed most all the time.

Tom

I do think the smell would remain behind the closed doors. Shellac is your friend here - it's durable, and it's odorless.

...Sam maloof used Poly exclusivly on his pieces the last 20 years and he didi the insides of drawers to.

Don - got a real reference for that statement?

I've only seen eight or ten Maloof casework pieces, but don't recall seeing ANY drawers that were finished on the inside.