Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gotta love the UPS guy

Gotta love the UPS guy

Did a little on line shopping and a run to woodcraft this week. Picked up a marking gauge, a selection of rare earth magnets, a new router bit to replace one I broke , some screws from McFeely's and, most impressive, a set of square punches designed by Darrell Peart and made/marketed by Lee Valley. These were specifically designed for the square plugs used on Greene & Greene, and other A&C furniture. Can't wait to try them out. Oh, got the honing tools for the punches also.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0029 (799 x 417).jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	44885
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Nice haul!

It always puts a spring in my step when I know brown is stopping by later in the day!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

[QUOTE=Rennie Heuer;214699], a new router bit to replace one I broke ,

Rennie I aint happy that it happened but it sure made me feel good to know it does not only happen to me. I wrecked one a few months back and boy i felt bad. Now i feel normal.
    cheers

That is a nice haul. I've got him visiting me sometime this week and next as well. Though my wife works from home, so sometimes I have some 'splaining' to do when I get home...got one of those nights coming up.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

[QUOTE=Rob Keeble;214769]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    , a new router bit to replace one I broke ,

Rennie I aint happy that it happened but it sure made me feel good to know it does not only happen to me. I wrecked one a few months back and boy i felt bad. Now i feel normal.
    Hmmmm Don't feel too normal. I broke it as a result of an entirely stupid act. I set the router on end on the edge of my work bench and a few minutes later caught the cord with my foot and sent it to the concrete. The bit snapped of and pinged somewhere on the other side of the shop. $39 to replace a solid carbide spiral flush trim bit.

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Nice haul indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    ...I set the router on end on the edge of my work bench and a few minutes later caught the cord with my foot and sent it to the concrete. The bit snapped of and pinged somewhere on the other side of the shop....
    Better to be pinged from being dropped than zinged from breaking under power. One goes bouncing across the floor; the other goes ballistic across the shop.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Good stuff Rennie What do you use the magnets for ?
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    Good stuff Rennie What do you use the magnets for ?
    Most will go in the "someday" bin. Some will be used as door catches on some clocks I'm building.

www.wrworkshop.com

I'm always finding uses for the Rare Earth magnets.

I take two of them and use them to hold recipes to a cabinet door in the kitchen.

Used them on Jigs in the Shop.

Glued one to a small LED flashlight to hold it on my hat brim.

If you don't have any, I'd say get some and see what you come up with.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

[QUOTE=Rennie Heuer;214781]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Hmmmm Don't feel too normal. I broke it as a result of an entirely stupid act. I set the router on end on the edge of my work bench and a few minutes later caught the cord with my foot and sent it to the concrete. The bit snapped of and pinged somewhere on the other side of the shop. $39 to replace a solid carbide spiral flush trim bit.

Dad used to get after me for setting a power tool on the bench with the cord hanging over. He always told me that if I was going to have the tool plugged in to set it on the floor because that's where it will probably end up anyway & better to set it there on purpose then have it get there by accident. Otherwise wind the cord up & set the tool at the back of the bench where it won't get bumped off. His thought was he made a living with these tools & the down time usually cost as much or more than the tool that had to be replaced.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart