Thread: Natural Edge bowl warp

Natural Edge bowl warp

Hi, a few months ago I rough turned my first two natural edge bowls from a chunk of maple. I did what I normally do and left the walls about 1" thick while it dried over a couple months.

When I went to get the bowls to finish them, I noticed they had warped an extreme amount along the "length" ... so they are now oval shaped. I put one on the lathe and it had warped so much that I couldn't even get it back to round without completely chewing away the two "long sides". They were down to about 1/4" and I still had barely hit the other two sides.

Is this normal for natural edge bowls? Should I be roughing and finishing them all in one session? Even with the extreme warp, there are no cracks at all. I really don't want to do any more until I find out the strategy I should be using as it appears to be different the other standard bowls I've done in the past.

NEs are the one bowl that I turn to finished size in one session. Then if it adds to the mystique and beauty IMHO.

Hardinsburg, KY
    Agreed. NE bowls with a bit of warp just cause folks to be more apt to ask, "How did you do that?"
    Working flat so I can play round,
    Doug Miller

Repentance Is The
    Prerequisite For
    Gods Forgiveness

Palm Springs, Ca
    Agree - I also turn all my NE bowls to finish - let dry or oil soak etc and build the finish............
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

ABQ NM
    Most of the NE bowls I've turned were done wet, and re-turned after drying. So far I've been lucky and none of my big ones have warped so bad I couldn't re-turn them round. I have had a couple smaller ones that warped quite a bit though, and by the time I got them round again, the wall thickness was down to about 1/16" or so at the rim.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Tellico Plains, Tennessee
    I can't attest to the truth, but I've heard that if you turn bowls from limb vs trunk wood you can get more extreme warping... seems the story goes that limbs have a different stress in the woods from the way they grew than do trunks... I have very poor luck doing NE bowls, so have done only a very few.
    Tellico Plains, TN
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Buse Township MN
    It depends on how wet the wood is. I copy Vaughn if the wood is sopping wet...rough turn, let dry, finish turn. If the chunk has been sitting a year or more, I'll usually finish turn in one session...unless it is still sopping wet inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post

NEs are the one bowl that I turn to finished size in one session. Then if it adds to the mystique and beauty IMHO.
    I can't remember seeing any of your NE bowls a link to some pics??
    Every child deserves a family. Adopt. Foster. Get involved.

Manistique, Michigan
    Has anyone soaked an natural edge bowl in DNA? I have only rough turned 3 bowls and have soaked all three in DNA. I havent worked up to a NE yet.
    Rich (the Yooper)

"To the world, you may be one person, but to one person, you may be the world."

"Common sense is not so common."

Goodland, Kansas
    I used to do that Rich but now I turn them to finish generally 1/4" or less in wall thickness. As soon as I get the bottom finished I soak it immediately with Antique Oil. It has done wonders in controlling the cracking and warping.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.