Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm confused and need some advice

I'm confused and need some advice

I have some or rather had some pepper mills on consignment at the local bakery. I've had them there off and on for about 3 years. The baker is a nice young man and seemed happy to have the mills in the shop. He has an area where several people put stuff on consignment. Today the wife and I went in for a loaf of bread and I was rather unceremoniously handed a box with all of my mills and a very cryptic, unsigned note that read "We do not appreciate your ungrateful behavior"... the owner nor his wife were there today, so can't talk to them, but the clerk working the front said she thought it had to do with some rolls that my wife asked about a couple of weeks back, then declined as they were not what she wanted. She also made a comment about the cost of the rolls... the price had doubled since the last time we bought them.

When I put the mills there the first year I offered to pay a commission on the sales, he declined. The next year I offered again, again he declined. This year I didn't mention a commission, but did speak with owner and he was glad to get them back.

I know I need to talk with the owner, but I suspect it was the wife who pulled the mills out... I think she was in the store the day we were there and asked about the rolls. I don't want to create any strife between the owners...
    It's not a big loss to me to lose the outlet... they haven't sold a mill in about 9 months or more.

My question is: Should I talk with the owner or just leave well enough alone and chalk it up to "Oh Well".
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I'd chulk it up to Oh well, after all the rolls were sub standard.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Ok, I don't pay much attention to this astrology stuff, but I've seen a few of my new-agy friends mention this on FB.

Mercury in Retrograde

Apparently, this affects things like communications between people and mentions specifically being a bad time to conduct business...

Now I'm not saying that I've seen 'communication issues' lately, but, uh, , yeah, I've seen a few communication issues going on here and there.

All I can say is your post just puts another data point on that map for me..

Sorry I cant provide any real constructive advice, but sometimes you just can't get in the other persons head. Maybe they were just having a bad day and you were in the wrong spot at the wrong time and said something that they mis-interpreted. It happens all the time...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

my question is, who is the owner, the guy, the wife, or the both of them? if he's the only owner, i'd say the wife was out of line for sending your mills packing.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

I'd say there mind is made up and there feeling got hurt. If you can live with it just walk away. They may bring it up sometime later when you are in and then you can discuss the problem that came up. Be the bigger man here
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

I'd do one of two things, first is the "Oh well" people are strange folks (I know, I am one too!) and just walk away.

The other thing that would consider is leave it for a week or more, let things cool off and and then go back, as a customer and buy something make sure the owner is there and then with a loaf of his bread in hand, just simply ask what happened? Don't be angry or upset just explain that you were not aware of a problem and you were curious what happened is all?

If he gets all huffy, then just back off and say that you are sorry you asked and compliment him on the good bread and leave.

Like I said, people are strange folk
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I'd do what Stu said
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Folks is funny critters.
    You may never know what hit their hot button.
    Doesn't matter.
    Take the mills and say nothing. What is to be gained by engaging in a discussion that is already on the downhill slide?
    I would suggest you take a look at why your mills haven't sold after three years.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Folks is funny critters.
    You may never know what hit their hot button.
    Doesn't matter.
    Take the mills and say nothing. What is to be gained by engaging in a discussion that is already on the downhill slide?
    I would suggest you take a look at why your mills haven't sold after three years.
    I've sold a number of mills there over the 3 years I've been putting them there... I change them out every few months... the store closes down over the winter and really only does well during the tourist season which is just starting up again.

And you're right it doesn't matter... just that we were a little mystified and frankly a little hurt by their attitude... we've been good customers for about 7 or so years... the last 4 1/2 since moving up here and we stopped regularly when we were coming up to visit before that.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

so let me get this straight.
    You have merchandise there and they gave it back to you because you had the nerve to mention they were selling you inferior baked goods at a higher price?

I wouldnt want my merchandise associated with someone whose standards of their own wares are obviously low and critism bothers them enough to toss a customer. (and Im sure they made money on your merchandise also)

Its nerve if you ask me, chutzpah!